Main Menu

Spal elect fans

Started by cordodge, March 10, 2019, 06:48:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cordodge

Anyone running dual electric fans ? Just sitting here contemplating running dual 12" spal  fans instead of the vicious manual set up. Car hasn't got a lot of mile's on it and seems to stay in the 180 range but thinking I will be driving it more this year and I never really got into traffic where your stopped for an extended period so don't know how it would do in that scenario, just thinking the electrics would move more air no matter if your stopped or not. Or maybe im just bored and waiting for warmer weather lol.

RUNCHARGER

I sell lots of them at work and never hear a complaint. For my own stuff I prefer a factory fan and shroud.
Sheldon

cordodge

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on March 10, 2019, 08:59:00 AM
I sell lots of them at work and never hear a complaint. For my own stuff I prefer a factory fan and shroud.

Thanks,Yeah I see lots of them in use and everyone tells me they work great but I guess I could wait and see how the car acts in hot weather in traffic before I do anything but would like to be ready for it. Thanks again

Brads70

Just for comparison I've been using fans from this place for years. Nice older couple,  Mom/Pop type business . Fan blow a ton of air as compared to others I've tried. You will need to upgrade your alternator if it's stock output though.

http://www.rainbowproductsonline.com/shroud-fan-assembly/extreme-coolers.php

cordodge

Quote from: Brads70 on March 10, 2019, 10:53:19 AM
Just for comparison I've been using fans from this place for years. Nice older couple,  Mom/Pop type business . Fan blow a ton of air as compared to others I've tried. You will need to upgrade your alternator if it's stock output though.

http://www.rainbowproductsonline.com/shroud-fan-assembly/extreme-coolers.php

Thanks for the info brad, Just running this though my head for a few days. Like I said im not really sure the set up I have now would give me grief in traffic or not and I was thinking this would work for sure but I have a cheaper Champion 4 core aluminum in there now but I could also switch to a better rad like the ones from CPW in London they said they have a 2 core with bigger tubes that would be better than the 4 core but I think with either it would be the low speed stopped in traffic low airflow from the clutch fan that would still not move enough air. Another easy option would be to try a fixed 7 blade fan?? :thinking: 

6bblgt

in search of cooler running temperatures in Las Vegas,
we remove a lot of aluminum radiators & electric fans in favor of copper/brass radiators & factory clutch 7-blade fans

area of 2x12" electric fans ~226 sq.in. (- how large are the 2 hubs?)
area of 18.5" "216" 7-blade fan ~268 sq.in. (~18% more)

nsmall

I had a Spal fan.  IT WAS A STRAIGHT BLADE FAN AND IT WAS EXTREMELY LOUD.

It was so loud you could hear me coming a block away and I had to get rid of it as it was just too much noise.

I needed it to fit into a tight space so I picked a slim design and it only came in a straight blade,  but I highly recommend buying a curved blade fan.

It was expensive and they wouldn't let me return it. 

cordodge

Thanks for the feed back guys, I maybe just worrying about nothing so ill wait till I know for sure if it needs some help cooling before I change to electric. I like the look of the set up I have now so if the temps do creep up in traffic I could  just go to a non clutch fan to see if that would help.

GoodysGotaCuda

I tend to prefer fans from some-level of OEM application that are mounted to a decent shroud. I am using a V6 Ford Contour fan set on my 3gen Hemi Cuda. $55 or so I think and working very well [2-speed]
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

I'm with Runcharger. Hard to beat the simplicity, effectiveness and reliability of the clutch fan and shroud.

Going electric fans gives you more equipment to fail in the engine compartment. Maybe more alternator, maybe bigger wires, relays, two electric motors and a temp sensor for the fans.

Clutch fan? The only thing that can fail is the clutch.

Just my  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

303 Mopar

If it isn't broke, don't fix it...

BIGSHCLUNK

I ran a single pusher fan w a thermostatic relay for years. Last summer had GLEN RAY beef up my rad... went back to stock fan...

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: dodj on March 10, 2019, 04:08:43 PM
I'm with Runcharger. Hard to beat the simplicity, effectiveness and reliability of the clutch fan and shroud.

Going electric fans gives you more equipment to fail in the engine compartment. Maybe more alternator, maybe bigger wires, relays, two electric motors and a temp sensor for the fans.

Clutch fan? The only thing that can fail is the clutch.

Just my  :alan2cents:

Sure, from only looking through blinders with pure reliability, that argument does work quite well. However, the probability of a properly installed efan failing isn't necessarily high.

clutch fans do consume quite a bit of power and make noise 100% of the time, rather than just when you need it. I like being able to work around the engine a bit easier, I can kick up the fan speed when the a/c is on for better cooling and I can blaze down the highway without wasting any more energy than I need do.

I can see both sides of each fan preference. My Warlock has a clutch fan, the truck is used very limitedly and just needs to function. The 'Cuda is a bit of a different animal.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

cordodge

I agree on keeping the OEM style stuff, Maybe I should just get a better rad with OEM shroud and clutch fan. Not saying the Champion rad is bad just saying there are better more efficient ones. Thanks for all the imput.

Chryco Psycho

It is very hard to beat the factory clutch fan & shroud as this is the optimal system , I would not change until you find you actually have a problem .