Main Menu

Speedo gear question.

Started by nsmall, May 01, 2021, 01:22:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I had a transmission shop swap out my torque converter and it looks like they clocked my speedo gear housing on a lower setting then my actual gear.

Attached are some pictures and I just had a few questions if someone could help me out I would appreciate it.

1.  The current Speedo gear was really hard to pull out of the housing.  Is that normal?  Literally had to dig down deep and get my little muscles out.  Is that normal?

2.  I bought a new speedo gear so maybe if it doesn't go in there easy and freely move maybe I'm going to need to get a new housing? It looks fine in there maybe just the speedo gear/shaft is totally screwed hence why it's so hard to put it back in.

3.  Would clocking this at the wrong position destroy the speedo gear?

4. I'm assuming the seal goes in and sets on top of that lip that I'm pointing out with my screwdriver?

5. I'm assuming I should flip my seal so that that side with a channel if you want to call it that is pointing towards the transmission? I have the metal clip that holds it in.

6.  I'm assuming that when you install the speedo gear you just push it straight in to the correct clocked position or does anyone have another recommendation? Some people online recommended putting it in the highest position and then turn it to the clock position for your gear, but I don't know which way to rotate it or if this is not true.

7. Lastly I've seen online people talking about using petroleum jelly, would I put that on the speedo gear shaft and the seals?

Thanks again, sorry for all the questions I'm just preferring to seal up a leak and not destroy another Speedo gear.

blown motor

Your gears is chewed all to rat ....  I wouldn't use it. And where are all the pieces that got chewed off of it? I hate to think but I'm pretty sure I know. The clocking has to do with the number of teeth on the gear. It's marked on the transmission casting if I remember correctly.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

nsmall

My 727 ate the pieces for a snack.

Dakota

I'll take a shot at a couple of your questions.

1.  The current Speedo gear was really hard to pull out of the housing.  Is that normal?  Literally had to dig down deep and get my little muscles out.  Is that normal?

I'm going to say "no". I've had 3 different sized speedo gears in my A833 over the last couple of years. They came out easily after wiggling with my fingers.  I think I used pliers once, but nothing involving much force.   

2.  I bought a new speedo gear so maybe if it doesn't go in there easy and freely move maybe I'm going to need to get a new housing? It looks fine in there maybe just the speedo gear/shaft is totally screwed hence why it's so hard to put it back in.

See answers to #3

3.  Would clocking this at the wrong position destroy the speedo gear?

Absolutely.  Based on how the teeth are chewed up all around the circumference of your old speedo gear, it was clocked in the wrong spot (too close).  If it's any consolation, it's better to have the speedo gear sacrificed then needing to pull the tailshaft out to replace the gear the speedo gear mates with.

ply64post

This should clarify the problem.

Jeff

MoparLeo

Another example of how informative your Factory Service Manual is. If you don't have one, free downloads are available in the Resource section.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...