Main Menu

Just sharing some drive shaft stamping info

Started by 7E-Bodies, May 02, 2021, 03:05:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Hey all,
Lately I've ran across some threads on factory drive shaft stampings that got me curious about mine. 1970 U code, pretty much all original. I must admit it took some time with a wire wheel to locate it, but I figured the info may help future searchers cut to the chase. The pictures will show the ballpark location of the part number and date code. In my case, there wasn't much pitting so it all cleaned up nicely after a final light sanding with 120>240>320>400. I used a blue highlighter to bring out the stamping for the pictures. The stamping was roughly 10-1/2" from the differential end of the tube. It was kind of cool being able to find intact numbers and see that they matched up with the broadcast sheet. Hope this helps others.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Floyd

That tracks with the location of my stamping.  Fresh from the evaporust bath last week.  Dated "C 70"

7E-Bodies

@Floyd i need to try some of that. Mine had some undercoating on it though. Would it have worked? I still need to do my stock 440 exhaust manifolds though.

Floyd

@7E-Bodies I just posted some pics of the process in a separate thread. 

https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/driveshaft-resto-another-evapo-o-rust-success-story/21303/msg262236#new

I've found that evaporust can remove some amount of thinly applied original paint but not all of it, and the paint residue messes up the evaporust. The part really needs to be clean prior to soaking.  Grease prevents the product from working and I'm confident that undercoating would need to be removed prior.  You can use evaporust over and over as long you take care of it.  With a 4" diameter PVC pipe you only need about 1.5 gallons.

7E-Bodies