Main Menu

Speedo gear seal, how far down?

Started by nsmall, May 11, 2021, 03:02:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Well guys I'm down to my final leak.  I replaced my Speedo gear so just ignore the fact that it's chewed up.

I put a seal down in there to where it's touching where there's that lip where my screwdriver is.  Well my cable is still leaking pretty bad and it's not the housing leaking, it's the cable.

Should I shove my seal all the way down as far as I can and put the metal retainer clip on that lip that my screwdriver is pointing to?  I thought I shoved that seal down there as far as I could but I know that I didn't push it into that small space below the lip.

Also just to confirm the way I have the seal in the picture is incorrect, the area that has a lip on the seal should be pointed towards the transmission, correct? 

Thanks

PS I took my kids out to Willow springs and really liked the color of that GT40 so I thought I would share

Scooter

Pretty sure when I did mine I pushed it all the way down to the lip.

I also recall there is a GM style that has a spring around the inner lip that seals better than the stock Mopar part. I'll linky`dinky it if I can locate the information.

GL

**EDIT** Found the thread:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/727-speedo-gear-install/6854/

nsmall

Based on the information so far, that's exactly what I did.  I have the seal down to the lip not past it. 

This thing is leaking bad so Im surprised it can be leaking as bad if I have that seal in there correctly.

For 30 bucks I can get a used housing on eBay, maybe I should buy one?

Scooter

^^^ And you have that lil "C" clip holding it in place right?

nsmall

Quote from: Scooter on May 11, 2021, 04:34:01 PM
^^^ And you have that lil "C" clip holding it in place right?

Yes.  Thanks for asking.   

Scooter

Can't imagine at this point why it's still leaking through there. 

:thinking:

JonH

70 Top Banana

That is what I was going to say- maybe the seal is in upside down?

nsmall

I will try that.  Cant hurt.

I have another question.  Is it possible my speedo cable is worn out in that area?  Speedo works great, just wanting this leak to go away.

Thanks

JonH

cable has nothing to do with it. seal rides on gear shaft. no oil should be in cable. make sure the sealing surface on the gear is in good condition

worthywads

Seals always go with the open side, the side I can see in your first picture, toward the oil it is sealing.