Main Menu

SST's new 5 speed TKX for e-bodies

Started by Skdmark, March 17, 2021, 09:37:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

Just saw this and thought members would find it interesting.
I know they are pricey, good to see more products coming ot the market for e-bodies.

https://moparconnectionmagazine.com/silver-sport-transmissions-unveils-the-mopar-e-body-tremec-tkx/
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

JonH

NICE! Will be a real kick in the crotch for Passon's 5 speed...

ledphoot

I wish they had done this before I cut up my floor on my Cuda for the TKO.. :(

Purepony

Mopsquad

Very interested.  I was close to pulling the trigger on a Gear Vendors unit to add to my A833.

ledphoot

I believe the TKX trans is ~$3200... You're looking at ~1500-2000 more for the rest of it, mount, driveline, bell etc.

7212Mopar

They don't say the HP rating on that trans. There is your option in lieu of waiting for Passon.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Dakota

I got a quote from them back in January for my 340.  It was $5300 for everything (tranny, bell housing, driveshaft, shift lever, hydraulic throw-out bearing, clutch disc, speedometer cable, DOT 4 fluid).   They advised that the tranny tunnel would have to be banged-on in a couple of places to make room, but no cutting would be required.

I'd love a 5 speed but I can't justify the price any time soon.

gzig5

:rofl:
Quote from: 7212Mopar on March 17, 2021, 12:54:30 PM
They don't say the HP rating on that trans. There is your option in lieu of waiting for Passon.
Transmissions are typically rated by Torque limit.  The TKX is rated to 600 lb-ft according to a blog on Holley's site.

"The TKX is now rated at 600 lb-ft of torque across all the different versions with the wide ratio using a 3.27:1 First gear and the close ratio version employing the 2.87:1 First gear. Case mounting and rear crossmember locations also remain the same as the TKO, which makes this new trans a simple bolt-in swap versus the previous trans.

Tremec says its enhanced gear sizes and revised double-lined, carbon-fiber synchronizer package can now be safely shifted at 7,500 rpm and much of the stiff, notched shifter feel has been eliminated, and the gates now have special chamfers to improve the shift quality along with a special ball detent for each of the three rails."

anlauto

SST asked us if we wanted to wait and get this transmission instead of the TKO that we bought, but it didn't fit our time line. Maybe on the next one for sure... :)

The one thing that bugs me about these kits is "drive line angle" . Why haven't they figured that out for you, and manufacture the transmission cross member so the transmission ends up at the correct height and correct angle ? Instead they give you a couple of shims and send you on your way to "figure it out"  :pullinghair:

Considering most engines are mounted in the same location, you think they could figure out the transmission location. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

torredcuda

Last I saw no wait for a Passon 5 spd and for the price of TKX I`d rather the Passon.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

Quote from: torredcuda on March 17, 2021, 03:18:55 PM

Last I saw no wait for a Passon 5 spd and for the price of TKX I`d rather the Passon.

No wait for the Passon ? I hadn't heard that, that's great news :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopsquad

I assume this is the Passon unit,  http://www.5speedmuscle.com/.  Apparently no wait and the price I believe is close to the SST unit.  I have to look at the pros and cons of the two 5 speed units.

Chryco Psycho

Interesting development .
We know the 855 is good & the GV unit is indestructable .

RUNCHARGER

Hmm, these are a nice pair of options now.
Sheldon