Main Menu

Stalls when warm.

Started by nsmall, January 16, 2021, 08:40:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mixup7071

I had a coil that would get hot and quit after it cooled off it started up again, I even had a fuel pump that would quit at the speed of around 40 miles an hour

JS29

:iagree:Have seen that a couple of time's.   :yes:

nsmall

Took my new coil off and put on the one that looks like it was made in 1973 and my stalling problems seem over.  I did everything I could to make it stall.  I hope the problem is solved.

They dont make quality parts anymore as that is the second coil I have bought in the past year that failed.

Thanks for your help everyone. 

RUNCHARGER

Is the coil mounted horizontaly or vertically? I have had MSD coils fail when I mounted them in the horizontal position. Some say it doesn't matter but I've had trouble with them failing mounted that way.
Sheldon

nsmall

Its mounted horizontal and it was a firecore...https://www.manciniracing.com/marafihpco.html

Its sad to think I managed to have both of these fail.

7212Mopar

I use the Mancini Racing relocating coil bracket that allows you to mount the coil vertically.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

YellowThumper

Sorry. Late to the thread.
Glad you have it sorted. Yes, I have had same issue with sidways coils. Even though mfgr states it is ok. My clue was found by accident. I touched the coil and it was blazing hot.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

71vert340

I also had a coil fail while driving down the road. It was a yellow coil (Accel?) and mounted horizontally. I touched the bottom of it and my hand had oil on it which is how I found it had failed.
Terry

dodj

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 18, 2021, 09:10:57 PM
Is the coil mounted horizontaly or vertically? I have had MSD coils fail when I mounted them in the horizontal position. Some say it doesn't matter but I've had trouble with them failing mounted that way.
:iagree:
I use an MSD blaster 2 coil mounted vertically. Been on there for 10 years or so. Instructions say to mount vertically, horizontal mounting will likely cause failure.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Skdmark

Anyone have issues with horizontally mounted Pertronix coils?
Been considering going with one of theirs for a future small block build.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Jay Bee

My  :alan2cents: to this thread. This silver/chrome Accel coil has been mounted horizontally since the early 80's on my car with no issue. Its location has been changed but has always been horizontal. Hope this didn't just jinx me. I still carry the factory original one as an emergency spare.

Scooter

I've used both Petronix and MSD cannister coils mounted horizontally without issues for years.

:dunno: