Main Menu

Starter Gear Noise

Started by Gary AAR, March 19, 2024, 11:51:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

I hear a noise that I think is from the starter motor that only occurs just as the engine starts and I'm releasing the ignition switch from the "start" to "rum" position.  The noise is momentary and very short.  I am only guessing that it is the starter motor gear being over sped before it disengages from the flywheel ring gear.   

My car is a 70 Cuda with a stock 340, the original gear reduction starter motor was rebuilt as part of the car restoration, and it has a new Ram clutch and flywheel.  The car has always made this noise since the restoration was complete (the car has about 750 miles on it since the restoration). I just inspected the starter motor and flywheel gear teeth for wear, and saw nothing unusual.  I measured about .040" clearance between the edge of the starter motor gear and the edge of the flywheel ring gear.

Anybody came across or heard of this issue before?  If so, what caused it, and is there a fix?
Thanks for the help.

Chryco Psycho

Making sure the bendix is not sticking / lube on the shaft could help , swapping the starter to see if a different starter sound different could determine if the existing starter has a problem .

7E-Bodies

I see you're in Iowa. I'm over in Peoria IL and took my 70 440 starter to a locally owned shop that's been around a long while. They were remarkably knowledgeable on my starter and rebuilt it fully. They also painted it to mimic its originality. They fully test and repair these. If you're interested, they are Quickstart Auto Electric in East Peoria, IL. Their number is 309-694-3800. I get nothing for the referral. Just sharing a good source that treated me well. I'd go there again without hesitation.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Gary AAR

@Chryco Psycho , @7E-Bodies

Thanks for the replies.  I will check into your suggestions.