Main Menu

Sugar in tank & valve train

Started by hato, October 08, 2017, 02:36:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

hato

I only found 1 video online of someone testing it in a lawnmower and the sugar carmalized on the heads /valves eventually it will build up layers an it won't close properly. Dropping the tank today and gonna see how far down the sugar got. It's a pos deal but can only go up from here  :banana:

YellowThumper

I would check all the orifices. Inspect down carb, dipstick, trans dipstick. Even look into pcv hole. Best to pull valve covers. Check radiator and overflow tank. Even the washer bottle just to cover every base imaginable.

Sorry to hear and hope you can ensure it is a one time event.
I had a schizophrenic father and endured many "strange" happenings over the years.

Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RzeroB

Quote from: hato on October 08, 2017, 02:36:44 PM
So I recently found out my father poured sugar in the gas tank and down the oil fill in my challenger...

Your father did this??  :-[  Sorry man, I'm just speechless ...
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

hato

He did a lot more then just this he took all of the other cars in our collection along with the titles so I li took a giant hit I lost my Saleen and a few nice 90s/2000 era cars  finding out this was like his way of saying f u all the way around as I was considering selling it to rebuild me and my wife's losses so far were halfway into tearing down the top half

Chryco Psycho

I understand why you would be moving away , my condolences  :Thud:

70/6chall

Gosh "Hato", I'm very sorry to here of your losses. YOUR FATHER that's even more incredible. Sometimes I just can't get my head around people's actions, no matter what the reasoning. Sugar in the tank?! Since my engine is the good old slant-6, I can recall an old 90's Dura-Lube or Slik50 TV infomercial, where they had one running, they treated it with thier product, then drained the oil and coolant out of it and poured sand and water down into the engine. With the valve cover removed they kept pouring this mixture into the running engine, kept running for almost an hour before it gave up.
Anything to make a buck.      Thanks,   Al

jimynick

Over the years I had lots of sugar claims and the truth is, as mentioned, that sugar will not dissolve in gas. If you haven't started the car since it happened, you might get lucky here. Drop the tank and wash it out with as hot a water as you can get and then blow or bake it dry. Get gas back into it asap to prevent rust formation. I'd pull the valve cover(s) and see what it looks like. If the sugar is all in one spot and doesn't appear to have gotten further into the engine I'd vacumn it up, look it over carefully and if all seems well, I'd button it up, start it and run it up to temp and then drop the oil and filter for new, install a new in-line gas filter and then me and "dad" would have a long talk. Know what I mean, Vern?  :thumbdown:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

sireland67

Quote from: 70/6chall on October 10, 2017, 12:30:21 PM
Gosh "Hato", I'm very sorry to here of your losses. YOUR FATHER that's even more incredible. Sometimes I just can't get my head around people's actions, no matter what the reasoning. Sugar in the tank?! Since my engine is the good old slant-6, I can recall an old 90's Dura-Lube or Slik50 TV infomercial, where they had one running, they treated it with thier product, then drained the oil and coolant out of it and poured sand and water down into the engine. With the valve cover removed they kept pouring this mixture into the running engine, kept running for almost an hour before it gave up.
Anything to make a buck.      Thanks,   Al

I was at Carlisle this year and a company was showing off their anti-wear product, the had an old straight six chevy that had no oil pan or valve pan covers on it.
They would start it up and let run for a while, lifters ticking pretty good, but not a drop of oil in the engine.
After thinking about it for a minute, I not even sure it had a radiator hooked to the engine.

nsmall

@hato Not to bring up a sore subject, but did you ever resolve the "sugar" issue and get the car running?

hato

@nsmall i cleaned everything out lucky my friend does flood clean up and had a extractor so we sucked up everything flushed it and got it back together in about 3 days.
am really more upset about losing the other cars & T/A so just have the r/t se in storage while i rebuild the assets i lost but hoping to find a project t/a or aar before spring  :fingerscrossed:

docmel

Late post..........   Anyhow, I saw in 2 vehciles, both mine.  One in a 1968  427  tri power  The other a 1995 Monte Carlo

The Monte Carlo required changes in almost any part of the fuel delivery system

I personally saw the damage in my 427.  I tore it apart, and that gooey crap was everywhere. Carb, fuel lines. in every rocker arm and oil passage and everywhere in the oil pan.   Oil passages became clogged    It left a gold colored thick laquer everywhere.    But it didnt disable the car, as I didnt drive it but maybe 20-30 miles.  But the work I did to clean it up basically ended up in a engine rebuild new gas tank and lines

There is much quicker and very cheap way to actually disable a car thru the gas tank, but no way will I mention it.................       

jimynick

If your car engine had a gooey material in it, it wasn't plain sugar, it was most likely honey or corn syrup/molasses. Prove it to yourself; take a small jar, throw a few spoonfuls of white sugar in it and then pour in a few ounces of gas. Give 'er a shake and see what happens. Sugar likes heat and can be made to melt, but by the time that's happened, you're done anyways. I'd love to hear the story where dear old dad gets to keep your valuable cars AND pour sugar in the one you did keep.  :looney:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"