Main Menu

What power train should I go for?

Started by Gizmo327, July 23, 2019, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Gizmo327

I am currently looking at getting a Cuda or challenger and am wonder what engine transmission combo I should be looking at getting without getting crazy expensive

70 Challenger Lover

I guess it would depend on what you want to do. If cruising only, I'd get a stock 360 or 383 with an auto and build it for low end cruising power. Lots of them out there. If fuel economy is important, you can build a peppy little 318 that doesn't suck down the gas but still has a bit of power for fun. Of course if you want to destroy tires in a single night, none of these options will do.

Chryco Psycho

Need a lot more info ,
You could look at a Gen 3 drop in , 360s are basically free to start with but require $$ to build up
What do you want to do with the car ultimately ?

Gizmo327

mostly causing and maybe the odd weekend road trip. Power to pass on the highway if need.

I do like the power in my Hemi Ram truck lol

70 Challenger Lover

Occasionally, I see someone selling a 360 or 318 that's been rebuilt but abandoned in favor of something different for their project. I think I'd keep an eye out for something like that or a decent used but running motor you can just drop in. Couple weeks ago I saw a 360 for $1800 freshly rebuilt.  It sounds like that would fit your needs and get you on the road. You can always swap it out later.

Chryco Psycho

Often you can find a Gen 3 Hemi from a crashed vehicle for a reasonable price , it still takes some $$ to make it work as you need a computer . mounts , headers etc but it gives you godd drivability & power  :bigthumb:

303 Mopar

What are your skills at tuning a carb, fixing basics on an engine and trans, maintenance? If reasonable a 318 or a 360 would be cheapest with a 727 auto.  If not so much or you want less maintenance the a 5.7 Hemi is pretty cheap and easy to find.

1 Wild R/T

"What power train should I go for?"

Steam? Always liked Steam Locomotives....   :pokeeye: :pokeeye: :haha: :haha:

Powertrain on the other hand....  You have allot of questions to answer before we can really give a good suggestion...

70Barracuda

E's take a lot of money.  How much you got?
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

mopar jack

Well if  i could jump in a time machine I would go back to the 90's and buy an old chrysler with a 440 and auto that would not pass smog for  $500 and pull the motor, trans, alt, power steering pump and drop it in and run the doors off it or wait for a pick and pull  1/2 off sale and pull one from a wrecking yard for $100.

Gizmo327

still learning but from what am seeing that not all 440 were 6 packs and I assume 6 packs would be more preferable?

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Gizmo327 on July 24, 2019, 06:15:39 PM
still learning but from what am seeing that not all 440 were 6 packs and I assume 6 packs would be more preferable?

It comes down to what you want to do. If only cruising, a 440 is not necessary. A 440 six pack is definitely not necessary. More desirable yes but a 426 hemi is even more desirable than the six pack so if desirability is the driving factor and money is not, than I'd opt for the hemi.

RUNCHARGER

A Six pack looks better but any 440 is cool. A 440 swap is the easiest way to perk up an E-body. As said though the old days of find a good running New Yorker for $500 and swapping it into an E-body after doing a timing chain swap are long gone.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

440 requires a trans swap , small blocks & 3rd gen Hemis do not

Gizmo327

What does a 440 with purple can mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk