Main Menu

Valve train setup

Started by RJChallenger, April 16, 2020, 02:46:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RJChallenger

Like many, I'm going crazy being locked up with the family.But a couple of posts got me thinking. Back in the early 90's when I started building my 440, I used the Carroll Shelbys  speed secrets as a guide, bought some Mopar performance pistons and there .509 cam shaft . In the valve train section pg 342. there's instructions for setting up adjustable rockers with hydraulic cams. At the end of the paragraph they state Only two production cars used this setup 70 T/A 340-6 BBL and the 70-71 Hemi. I liked that setup so I traded labour for Crane roller rockers to use on the .509  camshaft  and hydraulic lifters. Do you see any problems with my thinking ? Should I switch out the hydraulic lifters for solid lifters? Do I need to install lash caps on the Manley S.Steel valves? Any thoughts. Thanks in advance

RUNCHARGER

Nothing wrong with your idea at all. Lash caps are a good idea depending on your valvetips I think and you'll need different pushrods.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I know you budget is tight but I would seriously look at a better camshaft & yes use lash caps
The rockers will be fine with either a solid or hyd cam  :twothumbsup:

RJChallenger

I hope that my financial situation is about to change , my youngest daughter just finished her 9th year of university and med school. After 2 months of no work . Work decided to go ahead with a major construction project and I can get nine straight days of work, If it doesn't kill me.  The engine is basically stock .030 over 440 with 1964 383 closed chamber heads. the 1.60 exhaust valve was up sized to 1.74 and bowls blended in, to replicate the 67 HP heads, and a 800 cfm Holley and A833 4-spd. What camshaft would you recommend ? Can you get just the shaft or shaft and solid lifters?

Chryco Psycho

9 years of med school  :Thud:

The cam is the heart of the system , so you need to look at the whole combo , auto or std , diff gear ratio , size of tires , what do you use the car for etc .
So for example if auto the cam has to be into the powerband Before the converter locks up , you also need to calculate the RPM at your highway cruise speed so the engine is Not lugging . so for example if you are cruising on the highway at 2800 rpm you want the cam to start making power around 2400 rpm or lower , if you reverse it so you are cruising at 2400 & the cam starts making power @ 2800 the engine will be inefficient in both Power & Mileage .

Yes you can buy just the cam or cam & lifters or cam lifters & springs also .

RJChallenger

Thanks  Chryco Psycho . I know camshaft technology has drastically improved over the last 25+ years since I bought this cam package from Mopar Performance. To answer your questions.(#1)  A 833 4-speed .( 2) 3.55 gears and clutch type posi. (3) 295/50/R15 B.F. Goodrich tires bought new in 1989 and never used. And lastly the car has been used to keep dust of the garage floor. I'm was truly hoping that this would be the year . The cars 50th  birthday to have it back on the road. The rebuilt motor is basically stock .030 overbore, new pistons 9.0 CR ,resized rods, all new bearings . rebuilt closed chamber heads with S.Steel valves ,valve springs with dampers and the Crane roller rockers. Cars been off the road since high school so my driving habits have changed a lot since then. I hope to be able to just take the car on long summer drives . What camshafts should I be looking at . Thanks for all the great info.

Chryco Psycho

Let me crunch some #s , not like I don't have time LOL !
Please Do not use the BFG tires , they fail when they are new , being 30 years old now they will fail & I would hate to see you tear up a 1/4 panel for the sake of a $150 tire , I would look at Coopers or MT Or better yet Nittos to replace them

Chryco Psycho

Well a 4 spd is a Lot more forgiving than an Auto trans
So at 60 MPH you would be turning 2700 RPM & at 70 - 3100 rpm with a max speed of 130 MPH
So you could pick any cam with a powerband starting around 2400 RPM , you would need to decide what type of cam you want hyd flat tappet, hyd roller , solid flat tappet or solid roller .
I am not sure what intake you have if any but the Holley Street Dom would be a great choice
DO you have the HP pistons with the valve reliefs in them ?
this would be a good fit if you want a hyd cam , drop the LK on the part # if you just want the cam

Chryco Psycho

Here is a hyd roller in the same RPM range
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-20200712lk/make/dodge
the heads would need to be modified to allow for this lift & the pistons must have valve clearance notches as well with .550 lift
I had a specific custom grind I used in most that I built , it was a solid flat tappet with .575 lift on exhaust & .560 on intake , it worked extremely well !