Main Menu

To PULL or not to PULL - that is the question!

Started by Cudajason, September 24, 2018, 10:10:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

So I am planning to change the cam (and valve springs)  in my 360 this winter...I am pretty sure I can change it in the car, but does it make sense to pull the engine and replace all the gaskets etc.

I figure I have half the engine apart...do I go a little further and make sure everything is sealed up really well. 

I do have an oil leak somewhere...so I guess that is the answer to my own question...

:notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure:
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

303 Mopar

When was the last time the engine was "refreshed"?  If it has been a while, or you are not sure, then I say pull it and git er dun!

anlauto

Spend a little more now and drop a Hellcrate motor in there :banana:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

If you're pulling the heads off to do the valve springs you might as well pull the engine and do the pan and rear seal. Then you can paint everything and make it look pretty again!

Cudajason

Quote from: 303 Mopar on September 24, 2018, 10:29:49 AM
When was the last time the engine was "refreshed"?  If it has been a while, or you are not sure, then I say pull it and git er dun!

Engine was apart more than 18 years ago.  in that time it was mostly off the road, so probably less than 5000 miles on the engine.

I have no intentions of putting new bearings in it or new pistons rings...just new gaskets / seals.

I guess my fear is that I pull it apart and find something wrong with it that will necessitate a full on rebuild with machining...I just do want to get into that!!!
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

HP_Cuda

I'd say neither!

I would drop it out the bottom via k-member!!!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chryco Psycho

kathyscuda

we don't all have alans hellcrate money.
pull it out the top.
pull the heads and regasket it.
done.

dodj

You're only taking off the intake and accessories off the front. Leave the engine in the car. Even if you were pulling the heads I would leave the engine in the car. You can do the cam change in an afternoon. But not if you are pulling the engine out of the car. However, if this is your 'Canadian winter' project and will have 5 months to mess around with it, by all means, put it on the stand.  :drinkingbud:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Narrow down your oil leak. I would leave it in the car. Actually most oil leaks can be fixed in the car as well.
I've done cam swaps in a day fairly easily before including spring swaps, so there is no need to make this bigger than it has to be.
Sheldon

Cudakiller70

jimynick

I agree with the other lads about doing it in the car- unless, if the leak is the rear main, then I'd pull it out but not necessarily totally apart. Having said all that and in the scenario where it comes out to pull the pan and seal, then you'd be well advised to pull a couple of the rod caps and a main or two to look at the bearings; because if they're getting tired, 5000 miles or no, then you're in the right place at the right time to stick a new set of bearings in before you button it back up. You can borrow my engine hoist and stand if you go there.  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on September 24, 2018, 08:03:17 PM
Any idea on condition of your freeze plugs?

Between this comment & it seems to me you've been fighting an overheat condition... I'd pull it, knock the freeze plugs out, flush the block like you never could in the car, seal it up & give it a coat of Krylon....

GoodysGotaCuda

You either just do a cam swap or go ahead and rebuild the engine if it's at all questionable, in my opinion.

I just did a cam swap with the engine in my warlock, I'll pull it sometime down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs