Main Menu

Torque converter need help

Started by Sparxx, February 20, 2020, 06:22:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Sparxx

Ok I have a 71 Challenger. It came with a 318 and a 904. I'm putting a 360 in it with a mild build for the street. Cam, intake headers. Stock bore and stroke. I'm having a issue finding a stockish torque converter for the 904 and a 360. I'm told the torque converter for the 318 isn't going to work because it's not weighted correctly. Can anyone help me find something?

7212Mopar

Check if the 360 is still external balanced like you kept the stock cast crank. You will need a flex plate for external balanced engine with a half moon shape. Then you should be able to reuse the stock 904 converter. If you want to change, others can chime in which ones are better.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

chargerdon

Assuming the 360 engine you have is externally balanced (almost all are), I have a 2500 stall torque converter for a 904 in perfect condition, its about 2 years old maybe 2,000 miles on it.   It is NOT weighted so you will need the weighted (half moon) B&M flex plate to go with it.   I have that as well.   I also have the weighted Harmonic balancer for externally balanced 360.  PM me if interested..     

PS, Reason they are available is that I switched to an A518 transmission which uses a different torque converter, and a 360 with internal balancing. 

7212Mopar

Speaking of torque converter, I have a ATI Super Streetfighter 3500 RPM stall with less than 5 miles on it for a 904. Anyone is welcome to it since it is just sitting in a box. You will need to come get it as it will be expensive to ship.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Rdchallenger

What was the stall on a stock converter with the 318/904 setup. If memory serves me correctly it's not far off 2500... maybe 2200?

Sparxx

chargerdon

Quote from: Rdchallenger on February 20, 2020, 12:54:17 PM
What was the stall on a stock converter with the 318/904 setup. If memory serves me correctly it's not far off 2500... maybe 2200?

I think the stock stall for a 318 was more like around 1800 rpm.     Simple test of an engine/stall speed combo is to hold the brakes and give it gas...  If the engine has enough power to burn rubber, note at what rpm the wheels start to spin and that is your stall speed.   If the engine doesn't have enough power (floored) note the max RPM reached and that will be the stall speed.   My guess a stock 72+ challenger with 318 and only stock 2.76 axle will not have enough power to spin the wheels. 

Warning, don't do it for more than a couple of seconds as it will build heat rapidly.