Main Menu

Torque Converter

Started by Tantster, February 03, 2018, 07:41:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Tantster

Looking for recommendations. Mild 383 in 70 Challenger.

Chryco Psycho

this is critcal , it depends on the engines powerband , cam rpm , gearing , how you drive etc , typically a 383 had approx 1800 stall , it needs higher stall to offset the lack of torque , a 2200 stall can be a good choice in most cases as it helps off the line jump while not being unlocked at highway rpm

Tantster

Eldebrock top end kit installed with 3.23 gears. A friend said somewhere around 2400, but thought I'd ask the pros :)

Chryco Psycho

well you need to use a gear ratio calculter to determine the rpm you will be running at average highway speed , using 3.23 gears & tall tires you may not be running much more than 2400 rpm on the highway , you want to be sure the rpm is higher than the stall speed so the converter is not slipping at highway speed

Tantster

Running 275/40 R17 and if I read it correctly it should be around 2922 rpm's at 70 mph. Thinking no more than a 2400 stall. Sound about right?

RUNCHARGER

You're on the right track. You'd get more performance with lower gears and more stall but this way it will be good on the highway.
Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

I spent about $650 on the dynamic converter I had behind my 318. It was worth every penny , car drove outstanding and performed very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs