Main Menu

Which torque converter

Started by WCC, October 08, 2019, 01:10:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

WCC

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 10, 2019, 07:14:56 AM
248* duration @ .050  on a 110 CL , I bet it makes around 6" of vacuum at idle out of gear dropping to almost nothing in gear .
With that cam you would need a 3200 stall minimum which will make it no fun on the street at all !!
the carb will need a 1" or maybe 2.5" power valve , air bleeds need to be much smaller , I promise adding the wire will help

Great thanks, will try that. I'm not keen to change the converter.
I recall the vacuum was much higher at around 11 dropping to 7 but will check it again.

7212Mopar

I got the Comp 20-814-9 CRS XR292HR-10 in my 340  stroker. I think it is the small block version of the same cam, same durations and lifts. It was mated with a TCI 3500 converter, 904 trans and 3.23 SG and Quickfuel 750. The converter was picked by my engine builder. It needed to be idle around 950 and above otherwise engine will stall when put in gear. When in gear it idles around 750. Car will not stall at traffic light but you feel the lope and vibration. I think I got as high as 11 inch vacuum but it idles high. Car did not seems to move until engine speed is close to 2000. That was when everything is new. The carb setting also shifts week to week and sometime difficult to start. Initial timing was around 15.

After my 904 blew up, likely cracked the case when the u joint cup let go, I got a CRT built 727 and a 2800 stall converter. I was thinking it will be locked up on freeway speed with 3.23 and tire size I am running. I later switched to Fitech EFI. Car idles now around 750 and 8 inch vacuum. It still has the lope but seems less than before. Car starts easy and moves when gas it under normal driving. The void spot is gone. Power comes in strong when engine get pass 3000. No problem get the car moving from a stop with the torque from the engine during normal driving. I still think this cam might be one size too big for my 416. Too much overlap and wasted gas that you can smell from the tail pipe. I got the AF around 14.7 in idle with engine hot. Overall, it is now much better than when it was first put together and I enjoy driving it. So hope this help and if EFI will work for you.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket