Main Menu

Torque Converter

Started by tparker, February 02, 2021, 04:23:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I'm looking to get a torque converter for my stroked 340 '70 challenger. The cam manufacturer suggests a 2800+ stall speed. Seems most are at 2600 so I will probably get one of those. My question is more about the choices. Does the brand matter? Any recommendations? I saw the usual B&M and TCI as well as Boss Hogg which seemed solid. Thoughts?  The TCI has a gap between the breakaway and streetfighter stall speeds exactly in the range I am looking for.

What about size? If given a choice should I go smaller diameter or larger? I think the smaller ones are more performance orientated but not clear what the difference would be at a specific stall speed. Smaller I assume means less mass spinning around.

Thanks

moparroy

I believe smaller generally means higher stall.

RUNCHARGER

I've had bad luck with TCI. My son runs a Hughes behind a 440 and it has put up with lots of abuse.
Sheldon

mopar jack

I see you are in Sacramento, I recommend Spec Rite in Redding just a couple hours north of you. I have a 9" behind my mild cammed 440 with a stall around 2600. They are great to deal with and when I had a problem with it  (my fault) I sent it to them, they cut it apart and I was able to go inspect it. 530-243-8300
specrite@yahoo.com

7212Mopar

Check overall gear ratio and tire size and if the setup is for cruising or track. I am running advertised 2800 stall converter between a stroked 340, 727 and 3.23 rear and had been working fine. I recall there are articles on the web that look into weight of the car, engine torque curve, driveline etc to give recommendation
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

nsmall

Just had these guys build me one based on my 340 727 set up.  Johnny from Blueprint engines who builds 360 strokers recommended them to me and I could not be happier.  Street friendly yet made it easy to fry my tires upon demand.  They are not cheap, but imho you dont want to go cheap on a convertor.

http://www.atiracing.com/products/torque_converter/torque-converters.htm

I specifically bought this one...http://www.atiracing.com/products/tc/smtcprices.htm