Main Menu

Trans Pilot Bushing

Started by mjb765, July 19, 2017, 06:06:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mjb765

stock 383, 4 speed--original 4 speed car. The pilot bushing I removed was 1/2" long and the new one from brewers is about 3/4". It goes in about this far and stops unless I pound on it hard enough to smash the bushing. I feel a slight step inside the crank with the bushing removed. Is this in far enough or do I have a problem??

Cuda Cody

I'll forward the photo to Dan Brewer in the morning and see what he thinks.  Stand by....

Chryco Psycho

You should be fine , I would trim off the excess , it should go in as far as the step but that may have been machined incorrectly , pack it with grease

mjb765

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 19, 2017, 10:51:26 PM
I'll forward the photo to Dan Brewer in the morning and see what he thinks.  Stand by....

Thanks....I will wait to see what he says

mjb765

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 20, 2017, 02:23:09 AM
You should be fine , I would trim off the excess , it should go in as far as the step but that may have been machined incorrectly , pack it with grease

I may just cut a new bushing shorter and install that if needed.

fc7cuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 20, 2017, 02:23:09 AM

:iagree:
The amount sticking out won't affect anything, but does look unusual.  Don't smash it in.  :stop:

Cuda Cody

This is what Dan said...  "That looks like one of the late model dodge dakota adapters/bushing.  They fit in the torque conv register. Commonly used in auto cranks or with trans pilots that are cut short."

mjb765

My trans guy looked at the picture and thinks an auto crank was put in the car......crap......matching number motor with a D21 on the fender tag and at some point an auto crank got tossed in.....

it worked before and will work again......not changing the crank for this.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mjb765

Quote from: anlauto on July 20, 2017, 06:04:21 PM
"auto crank" ?  :huh:

yes..not drilled for a 4 speed trans..probably a cast crank. Found this on a search.

Chrysler cranks came THREE ways in regard to the pilot bushing area.
1. NON-DRILLED. Actually drilled a short depth, but not deep enough or large enough diameter for the pilot or input shaft. Works with automatic ONLY unless drilled out or the snout of the input shaft shortened.
2. Drilled, not finish reamed. This crank pilot hole is deep enough for the input shaft, but not quite large enough diameter for a stock pilot bushing. A slightly smaller diameter bushing is available or you can use a late model bearing that fits the convertor hub.
3. Drilled/reamed the proper size. Acepts a stock pilot bushing.

anlauto

I was confused I thought this was in your car already with a four speed transmission....I  couldn't figure out how that worked with an automatic crank :clueless:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

mjb765

It was!!!  I took out the four speed to have it rebuilt and found this pilot bushing and crank.

Somewhere in its earlier life the crank was swapped and made to work with the 4 speed.....

anlauto

mjb765

the later cast crank was not drilled as far in from the factory to fit the 4 speed input shaft. the trans input shaft gets shortened by 1/2".

mjb765

And the irony of this......I just got a new Mopar bushing from JEGS...it's only 1/2" long so it looks like I won't need to cut it to make it fit.