Main Menu

Trying to Stay Cool - FIXED!!!!

Started by Cudajason, August 10, 2021, 10:41:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jimynick

Jas, I heard you that you think the belt alignment is good, but allow me to differ. The photo shows a large angle discrepancy and that'd put a side load on the pump's shaft and accompanying bearing/seal and may have caused your pumps premature failure. I'd want to see some sort of straight edge that'd go over the other pullies with their faces nice and evenly fitting said straightedge. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

YellowThumper

Quote from: Cudajason on December 29, 2022, 11:03:18 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on November 28, 2022, 05:07:20 AM
Quote from: YellowThumper on November 27, 2022, 04:11:10 PM
Bummer to hear/see. My optimistic mind tells me that if wp is close to failing like that there is also a chance the bearings are bad, to which will allow wobbling and potentially poor performance...

I am assuming that it is the gasket, because the water pump is new...maybe 2 years old. But yea I guess the pump could fail.

I will look into over the winter, not much motivation right now.

Nice day here today, so I spent some time cleaning my garage and getting the car up for the winter.

Figured I would pull the fan and pulley and try to find my leak.

I did... :headbang:  its the pump. Good lord this thing is pissing me off.

Pic is from under the pump and you can see the leak from the plug. They really dont make things like the used to, pump may be 4 years old.
Truth with that statement.
I am building another car and have been chasing a leak at thermostat housing.
2 leaks with brand new parts.
First one leaked at pressed in bypass hose tube. Second one now is bleeding thru the actual casting...

Unfortunately you are not alone.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cudajason

Quote from: jimynick on December 29, 2022, 06:30:38 PM
Jas, I heard you that you think the belt alignment is good, but allow me to differ. The photo shows a large angle discrepancy and that'd put a side load on the pump's shaft and accompanying bearing/seal and may have caused your pumps premature failure. I'd want to see some sort of straight edge that'd go over the other pullies with their faces nice and evenly fitting said straightedge. Just my  :alan2cents:

Ian, always happy to have the discussion and hear other's opinions.   Earlier I was just trying to stay focused on the problem at hand.  I will mock the pully back up and get a straight edge on them.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

jimynick

Sounds great Jason. I've got a selection of levels up to 4 ft should you need such a straight edge. Good luck  :cheers:

Cudajason

Ok,  looks like i have a slight misalignment in the fan and alt pulleys, nothing major, but i will fix it.

Not sure it shows up in the pics.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

dodj

Alter the alt spacers and you will be golden. Four years out of a water pump isn't exactly awesome...but I just changed the starter on my Jeep.....the one I installed in August....they don't make parts like they used to. Just letting you know cuz misery loves company....lol
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

YellowThumper

Hold the straight edge flat against the furthest out pully. Then measure distance with another ruler.

Mike.

Cudajason

Quote from: dodj on December 31, 2022, 02:09:29 PM
Alter the alt spacers and you will be golden. Four years out of a water pump isn't exactly awesome...but I just changed the starter on my Jeep.....the one I installed in August....they don't make parts like they used to. Just letting you know cuz misery loves company....lol

I just want back and I replaced the pump in the course of this thread...not even 2 years.

I have my old one so I may just thow that one on. I changed it to see if it helped worh the cooling issue.

Quote from: YellowThumper on December 31, 2022, 02:24:19 PM
Hold the straight edge flat against the furthest out pully. Then measure distance with another ruler.

Yeah...its like a 1/8th of an inch.

Strawdawg

As it cools going down the road, it certainly sounds like an air flow problem.  A better fan, spaced properly in the shroud, and the new clutch should fix it, I would think.

There is no doubt that a radiator that is a number of years old loses a lot of cooling efficiency but normally, that will show up more when there is a load placed on the engine and not at cruise.  Also, rarely, a water pump will not be doing it's job as well as it should.

No more than 50% coolant to water helps as the more coolant that is added, the less heat that it will pull out of the system.  A good additive like RMI-25 will help it pull more heat and will slowly help clean crud out of the system.  I suspect the modern versions of other good surfactants like Royal Purple purple ice is probably similar now days. If one lives in a typical warm climate, distilled water plus the additive will work very well....note I did not say straight water :)  The additive adds not only a surfactant but also water pump lube, cleaning chemicals, and a strong rust prevention.    Some of the cheaper stuff loses effectiveness in three or four months.  That is the reason I use the RMR-25 and I still add another 8ozs after six months or so.
Steve

Cudajason

Spent some time in the garage today!

Got the old water pump installed, check for leaks and she held pressure, so I fired it up and filled it with coolant.

Lots of coolant flow, i have a clear filter on it so its easy to see.

No leaks there so I will see how it works in spring.

Now onto a power steering leak!

jimynick

Jas, if you don't stop taking all these leaks, you're never going to get it finished!  :bigthumb:

Cudajason

Ok I am done screwing around with this deal!

Last time out the old girl hit 240 and puked all over the place. Not fun. At least it happened when I pulled into the garage.

Today I went and picked up a shiny new 3 core 26inch champion rad, with a shroud that holds 2 12inch spal fans.

This set up is supposed to cool up to 750hp, which I am no where close to.

So we will see if this does the trick! 

If this does not work the engine is coming out!

YellowThumper

Good luck. Rooting for proper success this time.
Suggest adding a debris filter on top hose to protect the new shiny bit.

Mike.

7212Mopar

Seems like a lot of air bubbles and foaming. May be removed the thermostat and fill the block slowly first to get air out. Some people also drill a small hole at the thermostat to help venting when cold. Good luck.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Brads70

Use something like this for the drain plug if it has one. Source it locally at any marine supply.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rra-18-6136