Main Menu

Twisted Primary Throttle Plate?

Started by gzig5, April 06, 2018, 10:02:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

I think this one was last used as a training machine at a local high school before they closed down the Tech Ed program (stupid).  Supposedly the tool room models had slightly better tolerances in the spindle and came with the taper attachment.  It was rode hard and put up wet.  Lots of wear on the bed but it can be corrected by re-scraping it.  Scraping is a hand process (or machine assisted but still by hand) where you literally scrape the metal a bit at a time to make a surface perfectly flat.  Experts can get down to 0.0001 or better.  Takes a lot of time but is satisfying.  Lots of utube videos on the process.  When I made my scraping reference straight edge a couple years ago it was so flat that you could not lift it straight up off the granite reference table even though it was completely dry.   Perfect seal.

gzig5

Update on the carb.  I was able to tweak the shaft enough to get rid of about 90% of the twist.  I used two long nose vise grips with the jaws well taped.  Grabbed both plates, held one still and applied pressure until I got scared to go any harder.  Moved it just enough, at least for now.  Who knows if it will relax back.  Everything is still rotating without binding.  Stupid rebuild kit didn't have the right bowl gaskets for my model of 4150 so I had to modify them.  The hole for the accel pump port is too thin on one side so I'll order in the correct gaskets, but it should run.  If it doesn't, both carbs that came with the car go to ebay and I'll get a new or rebuilt one.  Too many other things to worry about to be messing with unknown parts.

Chryco Psycho

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I bet you'll get it running pretty well with that carb.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

Next time if you want to skip the headache, you could just buy a baseplate for that carb.

:cheers:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200