Main Menu

Unidentified Engine Knocking Noise

Started by BluRaySRT, July 30, 2022, 05:45:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BluRaySRT

I was riving at normal speed with this awful noise started coming from my engine.   I was able to coast down a hill to get home.  I took this quick video hoping that someone might be able to identify the possible reason before I start tearing down the engine.   Right now I'm assuming the worst...  but I know that there are a ton of very knowledgeable folks out there, so any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to a short video

https://youtube.com/shorts/gjv4GwFvIME?feature=share

57Fury440

It is hard to tell from the video where the noise is coming from. Does it sound like it is coming from the top of the engine or from the oil pan? Are there any symptoms? Did it feel like it was losing power too?

chargerdon

Try removing all of the belts and see if the noise is still there.     If yes use a stethoscope or just a long screwdriver on various parts of the engine to see if you can isolate.   How is the oil pressure ?

Good luck !!

Brads70

After listening to your video , first thought was a spark plug blown out? Sounds exhaust related? Head gasket?

Pull the plugs and see if you find something out of the ordinary? Compression check the cylinders?  Pull the valve covers?

BluRaySRT

Hi,  Thanks for your response.   Yes,  there is definitely a power loss.   I was barely able to keep the engine running when I limped home. It seems to be coming from the top of the engine, or near the exhaust area.   It almost sounds like a backfire, but much worse.   I'm going to take the valve covers off today to see if I see anything.   There are a couple of recommendations below that sound worthwhile too.  Thanks... and check back I will report my findings.

BluRaySRT

Great ideas..   I will be trying them today.   Could watch the oil pressure due to the situation.. but will look at it today and report what I find.   Thanks for the info!   

BluRaySRT

Yes,   it sounded somewhat exhaust related.  Those are great suggestions and I will try each of them.    I'll leave feedback later today along with pics to see where I end up.  Thanks!

headejm

Dang it's a Hemi!

Doesn't sound like an internal engine problem (like a rod bearing). Almost sounds like something is hitting something else. Sort of also sounds exhaust related. Definitely take the valve covers off and check all of the rockers and push rods. Good luck and keep us posted.

BluRaySRT

Thanks...  I'm working on that right now...  with fingers crossed.. . will keep everyone posted.

anlauto

Yea, check the rockers and push rods before it drops a valve  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BluRaySRT

OK...  I found the problem.   It looks like a pushrod slipped off the rocker arm.   So the question is now what?   To repair will I need to remove the head on that side of the engine?  Or can I just remove the rocker arm assembly and replace the push rod?   Might have to replace all the push rods I guess.   If that is the case,  it does not seem too difficult a job for me.   

The question of course is why did it happen?    Would it have done any other damage to the head/engine?   Do I have to inspect the head?   I'm sure some of you guys have been down this path so I would appreciate it if you could 'light the way' for me a bit.  Thanks!

I have included a picture of the damaged push rod.   

57Fury440

You should not have to remove the head. Check and make sure the lifter did not come out of the block. Take off the rocker assembly and replace the pushrod. Were the valves noisy before this happened? Maybe it had too much slack and popped off. Are they solids or hydraulic? If hydraulic maybe the lifter collapsed.

BluRaySRT

Hi..  thanks for the message.  No.. I don't believe the lifter came out of the block.  I did notice that the bottom of the piece that is used to adjust the lifter and attach to the push rod was also damaged,  but it would appear that you just need that adjusting screw and can keep the existing lifter. 

I was at a show last weekend and a guy came up to me and said that the engine was 'missing' ...  perhaps he was hearing that lifter making some noise.   

It is a 1990's vintage hemi crate motor, so I'm pretty sure it uses hydraulic lifters.   

I'm assuming that it would be wise to replace all the push rods while I'm at it.   And then learn how to do the proper adjustment.   

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

I'd be wanting to see the bottom of that lifter and the cam lobe?  :alan2cents: