Main Menu

Valve Cover Studs

Started by headejm, July 31, 2017, 01:00:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

Did 100% of 1970 383 HP engines come with valve cover bolts or bolts plus 4 corner studs? My original engine has a matching set of bolts but not sure if the studs were removed some time ago. The originality of the engine tells me that it came from the factory with all bolts.  :notsure:

Shane Kelley

That's a good question. I know for sure 69 had the studs on the corners.

fc7cuda

The 1970 year 383/440 I have worked on all had studs in the 4 corners.  :alan2cents:

tman

I agree on the 70 motors I have seen and worked on.

headejm

Anybody know what the correct stud is to use? The Mopar number is 6024845 but I can't seem to find a picture or spec.

69BFan

The stud is 1/4", 1.0 Overall length and 0.38 UNC and 0.50 UNF on the two different ends.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

Shane Kelley

MoparDave at Roseville Moparts got me the whole set for the last 383 I built. I was looking through my 71 factory service manual and it shows studs in all the holes. But I have never seen that on a motor. Non of this means yours didn't come with bolts only. Yours may be how it rolled off the assembly line.

6bblgt

bolts on the corners of big-block heads started showing up during the 1971 model year