Main Menu

W2 Heads on a Street Car?

Started by gzig5, April 30, 2018, 02:31:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

I've happened upon a set of new W2 Race heads for about half of what Jeg's has them for.  They are unused and have a little surface rust and have never been built so they need everything.  To be confirmed but I think they are the "Race" head and have 65cc chambers.  Really don't have the funds for them but they could play well into future build goals.  I know they need unique intakes and headers and the Race version needs special rockers and all that.  I need to price it out to see if I can cope with it.

But, how are they going to act on the street with a decent cam?  Not full drag race cam but something livable with an automatic for the time being and a dual plane intake?  450-500 hp fairly easily achievable on a '71 340 motor?  Or do they flow so much that they aren't usable for a street car?

Chryco Psycho

Awesome heads , they will work great on the street  :twothumbsup:
Cost is the Only downside , they should have dual pattern so you can use std headers but you will need special rockers , intake , valve covers , pushrods .
I would be tempted to stroke the build to 408 CI

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Stroker and larger heads make for a great combo. If you can get the heads for a good deal you can put the other stuff together as funds allow.
Sheldon

RzeroB

If you can get the casting or part number from the seller that should tell you what exactly it is that you are looking at.  :popcorn:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

gzig5

You guys are a bunch of enablers.  I love it.

Casting is P4532693.
Asking price is just over what Jeg's wants for a single head.  So I'd be $600 ahead in finishing them.

Number on the box is P5349770.  I believe these are the race, not Econo heads and should have 65cc combustion chambers.  So I can't swap any of the valve train from the stock J heads.  They'd be going on a 71 340 that I think has stock pistons.  Any guess as to the final compression ratio?  I can get 93 octane here no problem and my BMW M5 has a 11:1 compression on an all aluminum motor.  I don't mind running the good stuff.

I'll start looking into what it would cost to put valves and everything in them.  I've got time and should be able to do it in my budget.  Stroker is down the road so I would plan to use them as is for now in the 340and probably port them a bit if/when the stroker kit goes in.

ledphoot

If my memory serves me correctly my brother had custom pistons made for his W2 topped  340 It had something to do with 10:2 compression and proper quench. I believe the pistons cost him $500 from JE back in 2002.

RzeroB

Quote from: gzig5 on April 30, 2018, 05:45:26 PM

Casting is P4532693.
Asking price is just over what Jeg's wants for a single head.  So I'd be $600 ahead in finishing them.

Number on the box is P5349770.  I believe these are the race, not Econo heads and should have 65cc combustion chambers. 

As an "enabler" ... here's an good read on prepping W2 heads on the Hot Rod Network ...

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0111-porting-the-magnificent-w2/
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Chryco Psycho

stock head is 68 CC so you might be up 1/2 point near 10.5 compression depending on head gasket used so I don't see any issue , quench is key / vital , the heart shaped chamber should kill detonation too , I do not have the part # handy but I bought 4 of these heads & we built 2 engines with them , I should have kept a set maybe but I didn't have a small block project in mind .
Grab them go slow & build it !!

gzig5

Quote from: RzeroB on April 30, 2018, 07:07:42 PM
Quote from: gzig5 on April 30, 2018, 05:45:26 PM

Casting is P4532693.

Number on the box is P5349770.  I believe these are the race, not Econo heads and should have 65cc combustion chambers. 

As an "enabler" ... here's an good read on prepping W2 heads on the Hot Rod Network ...

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0111-porting-the-magnificent-w2/

I saw that this afternoon and got way too excited and that's why I brought up the question.  I can remember the talk over the years about the W2 heads but wasn't sure they were appropriate for a street driven car.  I don't think any of this rust should be a problem?  If not I'm going for it and will be eating Cheerios for lunch for the next year.

nsmall

I have no info for you besides listen to the folks here and cheerios are fine in my book so go for it.

RzeroB

I'll be in Grafton this weekend for a soccer tournament ... buy the heads ... flip 'em to me for an extra "Benjamin" or two ... eat well for lunch for the rest of the year!  8)
Cheers!
Tom

gzig5

Quote from: RzeroB on May 01, 2018, 07:37:14 AM
I'll be in Grafton this weekend for a soccer tournament ... buy the heads ... flip 'em to me for an extra "Benjamin" or two ... eat well for lunch for the rest of the year!  8)

I'm texting with the guy now.  Seems that they are the 55cc small chamber, not the 65 so compression with my 71 motor may be an issue.  :( Says he has rockers too.  Mopar Performance Valves don't seem to be available anymore in the long length.  Somebody has to have them though if they are still selling the bare heads.

If the calculator I used is correct. Starting with 10:1 compression and a 68cc head going with a 55cc chamber would kick it up to 11.6:1.  That's a bit on the high side for an iron head and 93 octane, is it not?

Tom,
I'll let you know what happens.  Kinda funny, I grew up in St. Charles so I get back to the St. Louis are at least once year.  If it don't work out this week all is not lost.
Greg

Chryco Psycho

looks exacty like the heads I used on a 408  stroker in a Lil Red
I would go for it , I can forward some cheerios

RzeroB

:iagree:  Excellent idea Neil ... we can start a "Go-Fund-Me (for lunch cause I used my lunch money to buy these W-2 heads) Page for Greg!!  :yes:
Cheers!
Tom

RUNCHARGER

Yeah: Those look great. If you change your mind you will have no problem reselling them. I'll never forget the first time I seen a set of W-2's in action. Jim Wanner blew up the Hemi in his SS/DA Cuda. Swapped in a 383 and it ran pretty well, swapped in a 440 with Stage IV's and it ran better, swapped in a 360 with W-2's and it pulled the wheels and ran into the 10's first pass, made those big blocks look sick.
Sheldon