Main Menu

Warranty blocks for AAR & TA models

Started by 71GranCoupe, December 05, 2017, 03:02:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71GranCoupe

Wondering if anyone has any info/knowledge/background on what Mopar may have done on a motor that had failed during the warranty period. The reason I ask, years ago, I found an AAR that was totally apart. I ended up with it and to this day still deciding what to do with it. I did have body guy start the resto, but his word was not much, never finished it. Probably just as well, as virtually there were no real panels available, just patch panels.

Anyway, now to the heart of what I am wondering. When I was checking it out, I had asked about the motor and was told the original was long gone and had been replaced under warranty. Would the dealer use a real TA block, or if not available use a regular 340 block form Chrysler. I was looking at the replacement block and low and behold, it is a bare block, no numbers that I could see.

Any info is greatly appreciated.   :clueless: :cheers:

FlatlandTA

Is the block you have a 3577130T.A.340 block with the blank pad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAR#2

I've not ever heard of anyone getting a blank 340 T/A replacement block before, and know of a lot of AAR's that do not have their original engines. Certainly abuse comes to mind but I often wonder if there was a machining or design inherent flaw with them. Of course not counting the blocks that were picked from cars to go racing.

Warranty blocks were supposed to have the dealer place a warranty tag on the block, unfortunately most did not. Unless you have the paperwork to support it most will not accept the idea its a warranty replacement.

The daily double would be to have the paperwork and the tag.

71GranCoupe

Quote from: FlatlandTA on December 05, 2017, 03:13:45 PM
Is the block you have a 3577130T.A.340 block with the blank pad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a regular 340 block, non TA

6bblgt

Quote from: AAR#2 on December 05, 2017, 03:56:27 PM
..... Certainly abuse comes to mind but I often wonder if there was a machining or design inherent flaw with them. .....
I believe 3x2bbls & 3.55s or 3.91s as the root cause for failure. or perhaps the 4.30s and heavy right foot  :burnout:

WAG the same short block (already in the system) was used for warranty replacement on 340 4bbl & 340 6bbl

@71GranCoupe what heads were with the AAR? & what stamped info is below the LH head?

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 05, 2017, 08:04:15 PM
Quote from: AAR#2 on December 05, 2017, 03:56:27 PM
..... Certainly abuse comes to mind but I often wonder if there was a machining or design inherent flaw with them. .....
I believe 3x2bbls & 3.55s or 3.91s as the root cause for failure. or perhaps the 4.30s and heavy right foot  :burnout:

WAG the same short block (already in the system) was used for warranty replacement on 340 4bbl & 340 6bbl

@71GranCoupe what heads were with the AAR? & what stamped info is below the LH head?

It (car and parts) came with the TA heads with the offset push rod slots, offset rockers, intake, 3 carbs and complete air cleaner. It was basically 100% complete, just apart and missing the numbers motor. Trans matches the fender tag too. Not sure about any numbers on the head, will have to check back on that next spring.  :bricks:

6bblgt

not on the head, on the block below the head surface

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 05, 2017, 08:56:21 PM
not on the head, on the block below the head surface

Gotcha Dan. Will see if I can get to it, it is buried in behind everything.

ScottSmith_Harms

71GranCoupe

ScottSmith_Harms

Ill check it out for you if I can get access, no problem.

Spikedog08

Hmmm waiting to see the results of this mystery!   :huh:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

71GranCoupe

Quote from: ScottSmith_Harms on December 05, 2017, 09:24:32 PM
Ill check it out for you if I can get access, no problem.

Thanks for the offer Scott,  :thankyou: but it is literally buried behind everything that I stored inside before departing for the warmer climate. I got to thinking that I did take pictures of it last summer and they should be on my google account, just have to find them.  :bricks:

71GranCoupe

Finally found the 2 pictures where vehicle numbers are usually stamped. I knew the pad down by the oil pan rail was blank, but had forgotten about the upper pad below the left head. Here are both pictures and both are blank.

6bblgt

if it was sold as a bare block there would be no numbers

I don't think Chrysler would've warrantied just the block due to the labor involved in swapping it into a car