Main Menu

Challenger Exhaust Tips (original vs. NOS vs. repo)

Started by mtull, February 06, 2024, 09:22:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mtull

I've been researching Challenger RT exhaust tips trying to learn the differences.  I found a couple of images online showing two different styles claiming to be NOS.  The first style has no weld seam on the bottom and the other style does.  I've also come across conflicting information suggesting the tips attached below with the red overspray are aftermarket (slight concave bends rather than flat) however to me, they look more like the supposed NOS versions I've seen online. Any education appreciated.

Thank you

Floyd

If I recall correctly, the no-weld seam style is the early style during production and available in NOS for awhile.  Subsequent runs of NOS tips in later years had the weld seam. 

Sorry, I can't help with the second part of your question.

EV2RTSE

I agree with Floyd- I have a set of NOS tips still in boxes dated 1997 and they have the welded seam. The tips are straight across rather than concave or wavy as on the set with the red overspray. I would say the wavy ones are the early ones and the most correct. My brother has a set of rechromed originals on his car and they're wavy like that as well. I can't recall any repops ever looking like that.

mtull

Quote from: EV2RTSE on February 06, 2024, 08:28:27 PMI agree with Floyd- I have a set of NOS tips still in boxes dated 1997 and they have the welded seam

Thank you @EV2RTSE.  It helps immensely to have consensus and confirmation.  I found a few images online of a 6K mile unrestored hemi car sold not long ago showing the exhaust tips and confirming you're findings.  I assume the tips are original and they do look a little wavy