Main Menu

Exhaust for maximum ground clearance

Started by Scooter, April 18, 2020, 11:49:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

^^^ Yup.. yours are much higher. Do you have a shot from the back?

Bullitt-

Quote from: Scooter on April 18, 2020, 08:28:46 PM
^^^ Yup.. yours are much higher. Do you have a shot from the back?
Can't find anything.... will try & get a shot in the near future 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Scooter

MoparLeo

Looking at your last picture post. Looks like the engine/trans combo is leaning down to the right. What type of motor mounts are you running ? Looks to be the problem as well as you stated that the torsion bars are adjusted down. That was the point about ride height.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Topcat

Quote from: Scooter on April 18, 2020, 08:39:27 PM
Thinking of replicating this setup Topcat has, with an X pipe.

Cant easily go wrong with that type of ground clearance.

Go for it! You'll love it.

Best way to describe  it's sound...
Floats like a Butterfly, Stings like a Bee.

dodj

Quote from: Topcat on April 18, 2020, 09:08:45 PM
Best way to describe  it's sound...
Floats like a Butterfly, Stings like a Bee.
The hemi might have something to do with it...
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Scooter

Quote from: MoparLeo on April 18, 2020, 08:51:23 PM
Looking at your last picture post. Looks like the engine/trans combo is leaning down to the right. What type of motor mounts are you running ? Looks to be the problem as well as you stated that the torsion bars are adjusted down. That was the point about ride height.

Believe it's just an optical illusion because the passenger side header tube hangs soo low. But I see what you are talking about, that looks like one mean lean at a glance. Motor mounts are poly-locks.

MoparLeo

I see what you mean but I was looking at the angle of what looks like the trans pan. Actually having the car on a rack gives you a very good horizontal perspective of what is parallel. Have you put a level across the valve covers or carb opening ?

7212Mopar

Took a few underside pictures of my car this morning, small block, TTI full length headers, TTI 2.5" exhaust with TTI 6 degrees header adapters. Hope this help.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

70Barracuda

Question,  How close to the floor or anything should the exhaust be?  Taking my car today to a guy to talk about all new.

Thanks
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

MoparLeo

How close to the floor where ? Depends on whether the floor is undercoated with the tar type stuff or with a bed liner type of material. Or just straight paint Type of insulation or sound deadener used under the carpet. Lots of variables.They generate a lot of heat so act accordingly.  :thinking:

Scooter

Quote from: 7212Mopar on April 19, 2020, 11:19:26 AM
Took a few underside pictures of my car this morning, small block, TTI full length headers, TTI 2.5" exhaust with TTI 6 degrees header adapters. Hope this help.

Extremely helpful, thank so much for taking the time to do so!  :bigthumb: Going to get out and take some more measurements today.

Topcat

A skid plate added to the K member may offer some relief on exhaust hitting.

If you modified it making sit even lower; might be an idea to consider as well.

https://www.doctordiff.com/reproduction-skid-plate.html

Scooter

Quote from: Topcat on April 19, 2020, 05:15:16 PM
A skid plate added to the K member may offer some relief on exhaust hitting.

If you modified it making sit even lower; might be an idea to consider as well.

https://www.doctordiff.com/reproduction-skid-plate.html

Not planning on going any lower... lol.

Just noticed you are in Fremont, was in your neck of the woods today. Saw a nice orange 72 Challenger cruising up Stevenson.  :)

shawge

:alan2cents: double check the engine/transmission angle (IIRC it should be 1-3 deg down from horizontal).  This can affect the header to ground clearance.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet