Main Menu

Header recommendedations - 1970 challenger RT/SE 383

Started by mtterry, May 01, 2022, 04:23:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mtterry

Aa the post suggests, I'm looking for some recommendations for headers.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

70vert

I am very happy with my Schumacher Tri-Y headers on my 70 Challenger with 440. They are Satin Black Ceramic and still look new (bought in 2008). They went right on no beating required and bolted directly to my TTI exhaust system.

Unfortunately Schumacher closed, but they did sell all their stuff to another company which is starting to manufacture them. Not sure if they are doing headers. They may also be using the same Schumacher url - https://www.engine-swaps.com/products/hi-flow-tri-y-under-chassis-b-rb-headers

mtterry

Quote from: 70vert on May 01, 2022, 05:07:46 PM
I am very happy with my Schumacher Tri-Y headers on my 70 Challenger with 440. They are Satin Black Ceramic and still look new (bought in 2008). They went right on no beating required and bolted directly to my TTI exhaust system.

Unfortunately Schumacher closed, but they did sell all their stuff to another company which is starting to manufacture them. Not sure if they are doing headers. They may also be using the same Schumacher url - https://www.engine-swaps.com/products/hi-flow-tri-y-under-chassis-b-rb-headers
Did you need to get the mini starter ?

70vert

@mtterry  Can't say for sure, I did use a mini-starter but did not try a full size one. If I recall it is for a Dakota, seems to be the standard/universal fit starter that is small.

headejm

MoparLeo

TTI with ceramic/thermal barrier. " The Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

anlauto

Quote from: MoparLeo on May 02, 2022, 08:18:57 PM
TTI with ceramic/thermal barrier. " The Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."
:iagree: :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

mtterry

Quote from: MoparLeo on May 02, 2022, 08:18:57 PM
Man those are up there. Not sure how all in on this stock 383 I wanna go. Middle of the road, in case I end up doing a motor swap down the road.

mtterry

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 03, 2022, 09:06:41 AM
TTI is the first choice , Dougs is good also .
Doug's seem a bit better on the price range.

anlauto

Most headers (along with most things in life) are priced accordingly. You either get the best price or the best quality, you rarely get both. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparmadman69

TTI is the only way to go for good fitting headers on a Mopar. The Schumacher TRI-Ys are awesome also, if you want a header that will fit in the car and you don't have to remove half the stuff on your car to install them.

On the other hand Tony's Parts is now reproducing the 70 big block exhaust manifolds. They flow great as well and fit in your car with no modifications or head aches. I prefer the high flow exhaust manifolds but I may be a little bias.  :yes:

headejm

I am a Mopar purist and have factory exhaust manifolds on my 383. I like the looks but changing the spark plugs is a major PITA. Changing spark plugs shouldn't be that difficult.  :Thud:

boydsdodge

TTI. If you go shorties you will need a custom starter from Robb Mc. Long tube are good with stock starters.

boydsdodge

If that's your case, stick with manifolds for street car.