Main Menu

Need a Measurement Please - 68-70 340 Exhaust Manifold

Started by Floyd, November 27, 2021, 07:04:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

If anyone has an RH 340 exhaust manifold with the original heat riser I'm looking for a measurement of the length of the dowel pin that the thermostat hooks on to.  How far does it stick out from the manifold? 

Many thanks!

70 Top Banana

You want the complete length, correct? I will be in the shop tomorrow. If I can get it I will post it.

Floyd

I'm having to drill out a broken dowel and make a new one.  Mainly interested in how much sticks out of the hole/how close it gets to the counter weight but I'll take any measurements you have.  Many thanks!

anlauto

This manifold is off of the 1970 AAR Cuda I just brought in.
I would say you're good at 15/16"
On this one, accounting for the rust, the counter balance wheel looks to be pretty darn close to exactly 1" away from the manifold flange, and the post is just shy of that....
You can always make it shorter easier then making in longer :brainiac:  ;)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Floyd

anlauto

Anytime, that's what we're here for  :grouphug: 

Disclosure: I was still in my PJ's when those pictures were taken... :haha: :haha: :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jetmech

Here are some pictures of my 70 cuda 340 manifold. The main shaft and pin will have a groove that the anti rattle spring will sit in. Set the main shaft in, then tap in the pin so both grooves line up. Then I just built up the thermostat spring and stop on the counter balance and tapped it on. I removed the inner flap plate and had the shaft spot welded in place before hand. I was going for the look of a complete set up. One picture is taken looking down and the one with the measurement is take from flange looking up.

70 Top Banana

Ok, I took a look and I measured it at 4 and 7/8 inches.

70 Top Banana

Ok my bad I thought you needed the entire length of the rod. Here is the picture I have

70 Top Banana

Floyd

Thanks for all the great replies and pics.  I didn't realize the dowel had a groove in it for the anti-rattle spring.  Very helpful!