Main Menu

71 cuda convertible 383. Mannix TV show.

Started by Roberto, April 23, 2021, 07:47:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Roberto

Quote from: anlauto on April 26, 2021, 01:58:02 PM
So regardless of the TV show's possible connection...What are your plans for the car Roberto ?

Would like to sell it to the right person or maybe 🤔 a partnership to restore the car.
I think this car may have an interesting pedigree in the cultural history of the American 🇺🇸 society, so this car should be in the right hands. Right now is a time capsule ready to be studied.
You can PM me if you like more details of the car.

Roberto

Roberto

:needphotos:
Sorry, only a partial fender tag.
Here is the photo, the best I could. :rubeyes:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Quote from: Roberto on April 27, 2021, 10:33:53 AM
Quote from: anlauto on April 26, 2021, 01:58:02 PM
So regardless of the TV show's possible connection...What are your plans for the car Roberto ?

Would like to sell it to the right person or maybe 🤔 a partnership to restore the car.
I think this car may have an interesting pedigree in the cultural history of the American 🇺🇸 society, so this car should be in the right hands. Right now is a time capsule ready to be studied.
You can PM me if you like more details of the car.

I think you really need to lock down the TV show connection to maximize the re-sale amount, or it's just another butchered up 71 Barracuda convertible :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Roberto

Yes I know.

I have some documentation that shows the permanence of the car in Mexico since the year of 1973, when was imported from the USA.

That may help a little, but the testimony of the crew from the TV series or some documents from the files of the Plymouth company will be helpful. :notsure: :thinking:

6bblgt

can you post a picture of the top of the LH inner fender?

Roberto

Sure, here is a photo of both sides.

YYZ

So a hypothesis to explain the '73 bumpers is this:

- the car was imported into Mexico circa 1973.  Given that 1973 marked the arrival of a significant increase in safety requirements, including 5 (or was it 10) mph bumpers, is it possible that the Mexican authorities required the car to be upgraded to those bumpers for it to be legally entered into the country?

At the time, the '71 would have been a fairly new car and it's not unheard of for other jurisdictions to require equipment updates -- e.g. Canada and daytime running lights.

anlauto

The TV show car was a lot darker green then the factory green on the inside of your car. I don't believe the green used on the TV car was a factory colour....Have you found any signs of that dark green anywhere on your car ?

Roberto

Quote from: YYZ on April 28, 2021, 07:29:22 AM
So a hypothesis to explain the '73 bumpers is this:

- the car was imported into Mexico circa 1973.  Given that 1973 marked the arrival of a significant increase in safety requirements, including 5 (or was it 10) mph bumpers, is it possible that the Mexican authorities required the car to be upgraded to those bumpers for it to be legally entered into the country?

At the time, the '71 would have been a fairly new car and it's not unheard of for other jurisdictions to require equipment updates -- e.g. Canada and daytime running lights.
In the 70s the Mexican regulators were very lax due to the lack of experience and knowledge in the automotive industry, and because of very few large companies manufacturing cars in the country, contrary to the actually Mexico a a hub of car manufacturing.
It seems to me difficult to think that the government in that time will impose restrictions like that to the import of a car. It seems to me that the seller tried to comply with the sale of a 73 car as it comes from the factory as much as possible.  :alan2cents:

Roberto

Quote from: anlauto on April 28, 2021, 08:21:59 AM
The TV show car was a lot darker green then the factory green on the inside of your car. I don't believe the green used on the TV car was a factory colour....Have you found any signs of that dark green anywhere on your car ?
Very interesting question. :twothumbsup:
I've been looking around the car and can't find another color, only that green.
I'll take a look on the underside to see if I can find traces of that same color. :takepicture:

anlauto

6bblgt

@Roberto can you confirm these are screw hole locations?  the dimple would've been a screw hole on a car with A/C