Main Menu

71 cuda convertible 383. Mannix TV show.

Started by Roberto, April 23, 2021, 07:47:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1972V21Cuda

This was posted on another site around 2006:

" I lived in Arizona back in the mid 1980's, (1983/84 or so) while I was there I attended several local car shows (this was before Muscle Cars were the rage). At one show a guy showed up with a red Hemi Cuda convertible, it was really nice looking, red, black billboards, black top and interior, lots of options, pretty much looked like a fresh restoration (decent quality for the day anyway). I remember the show well because the guy who showed up with it entered it into the "Stock" show car field and it won first place, the fact that it was a Hemi clone (suposedly it was an original 383 car) REALLY upset some woman who had entered her original car in the same catagory and lost to the clone. She was running around talking smack BIG TIME. Anyway, while I was there I spoke with another Mopar entusiast (I believe one of the Painter Brothers who now run Mopars At The Strip) I was told that the car was a real Frankenstien, one half of it being the original "72" Manix car, the other half being another convertible Barracuda donar car. He said the original Manix car had been in a bad accident and the body was cut into two halves  (front and rear were sepperated somewhere around the front seat area of the floor pan) then the two cars were grafted together. I never looked but he said the welds were very visible and it looked really bad under the car. Anyway, I heard that the car was later dissasembled and sold, I can only guess that the green car above is (part) of that same car but restored to it's original Manix appearance?"

Does your car appear to be welded in the middle?

autoxcuda

Quote from: 1972V21Cuda on April 25, 2021, 12:42:35 AM

" I lived in Arizona back in the mid 1980's, (1983/84 or so) while I was there I attended several local car shows (this was before Muscle Cars were the rage). At one show a guy showed up with a red Hemi Cuda convertible, it was really nice looking, red, black billboards, black top and interior, lots of options, pretty much looked like a fresh restoration (decent quality for the day anyway). I remember the show well because the guy who showed up with it entered it into the "Stock" show car field and it won first place, the fact that it was a Hemi clone (suposedly it was an original 383 car) REALLY upset some woman who had entered her original car in the same catagory and lost to the clone. She was running around talking smack BIG TIME. Anyway, while I was there I spoke with another Mopar entusiast (I believe one of the Painter Brothers who now run Mopars At The Strip) I was told that the car was a real Frankenstien, one half of it being the original "72" Manix car, the other half being another convertible Barracuda donar car. He said the original Manix car had been in a bad accident and the body was cut into two halves  (front and rear were sepperated somewhere around the front seat area of the floor pan) then the two cars were grafted together. I never looked but he said the welds were very visible and it looked really bad under the car. Anyway, I heard that the car was later dissasembled and sold, I can only guess that the green car above is (part) of that same car but restored to it's original Manix appearance?"

That red Hemi conv clone is still around in roughly same shape.

A e-bodies.org member own it in San Diego area, Shane.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

1 Wild R/T

As posted on page one.....

"Follow the link...."

https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/seo/7475/

Roberto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 25, 2021, 08:29:18 AM

As posted on page one.....

"Follow the link...."

https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/seo/7475/

No it doesn't appear welded in the middle, looks stock.

Roberto

No prior damage to the trunk floor.
Taillights panel installation looks done by a pro or factory made.

Sorry only parts of 72 grill.

I attached some photos.

Roberto

I came across this information on YouTube, a gentleman writes of the 2 1971 Cuda, one was used as a Camera Tow car.

My car has a kind of antique hitch in the rear bumper, I don't know if the car came with that or was a later add on, more mistery here. :thinking:

I share the photo of the hitch, and screenshot of the YouTube channel.

Roberto

That same YouTube video somebody mentioned a 383 BB air cleaner appears in a scene where Mannix finds something under the hood.

I share a screenshot of the video in YouTube same channel.

6bblgt

1971 Barracudas:
1B172724 = EXPORT Barracuda convertible white/white 383 4bbl automatic
1B172725 = subject Barracuda convertible green/?? 383 2bbl automatic
1B172726
1B172727
1B172728
1B172729
1B172730 = Chrysler Company Car 'cuda hardtop butterscotch/white 383 4bbl automatic

it appears the subject Barracuda was still light green when the conversion to a '73/'74 convertible was done (5 mph bumper fillers front & rear)

any under hood/firewall pictures available?
any inner fender pictures available, driver's side near battery?
any headlight bucket area pictures available?
what marker light holes/cutouts are filled in '71 or '72-'74 versions?
does the dash have STANDARD or "rallye" gauges?   A/C?   pics?
what color is the interior?

the "CAMERA TOW VEHICLE" comment is in reference to the car being towed from the front for "close up" interior filming (not a car used to tow)

anlauto

Tail panel appears to be a 73-74 as well, not a 72 which is odd (trunk lock cylinder)  and the 70-71 side markers look to be added, which you think would be the other way around  :huh: :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Roberto

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 25, 2021, 04:18:26 PM
1971 Barracudas:
1B172724 = EXPORT Barracuda convertible white/white 383 4bbl automatic
1B172725 = subject Barracuda convertible green/?? 383 2bbl automatic
1B172726
1B172727
1B172728
1B172729
1B172730 = Chrysler Company Car 'cuda hardtop butterscotch/white 383 4bbl automatic

it appears the subject Barracuda was still light green when the conversion to a '73/'74 convertible was done (5 mph bumper fillers front & rear)

any under hood/firewall pictures available?
any inner fender pictures available, driver's side near battery?
any headlight bucket area pictures available?
what marker light holes/cutouts are filled in '71 or '72-'74 versions?
does the dash have STANDARD or "rallye" gauges?   A/C?   pics?
what color is the interior?

the "CAMERA TOW VEHICLE" comment is in reference to the car being towed from the front for "close up" interior filming (not a car used to tow)
Oh wow !! Very interesting information. :thankyou:

Tomorrow I'll took more photos of the subject areas you mention.

Thanks for share your information.

Roberto

AFAIK here is the story of this car:

A young man receives a birthday gift from his mother a new car and went to a dealership (Ford Mustang) to buy the car, but the young man wants the car of his dream a Cuda.

The only problem there's no barracuda dealers in Mexico at the time.
So they travel to L.A. to buy the car and export the car into Mexico, this was done in July 20 of 1973.

As time goes by the young man decides to restore the car in San Antonio Tx, and made the journey from central Mexico to Texas.
During the trip the Judicial Police stops them and try to stole the car from him, but he manages to give them the money for the restoration and save the car.
With out money for the restoration of the car he left the car in a relative house in Monterrey.
I spot the car there along the street and bought it in 1990.
To this day i still own the car.

Here I shere more photos of the car.

anlauto

So regardless of the TV show's possible connection...What are your plans for the car Roberto ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

1972V21Cuda

Roberto

anlauto