Main Menu

Restoration tips

Started by nsmall, March 05, 2017, 07:58:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Chryco Psycho started a thread on "putting a car back together"

I can't find that thread anymore.  I was looking and all I can find are restoration tip videos not actual threads.

Not sure what main "tab" that thread was posted on????

I was also interested in starting a thread about tips for "the order of how you would tear down an e body"

I already started the thread on "tear down tips"

I guess what I'm asking or potentially recommending is a commonly asked question link about those restoring a car.

Sorry, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. Thank you for everything.

Neil

Cudalbs

Reference Material, total car reassembly.
"Love those round taillight cars"

Chryco Psycho

Rev-It-Up

Yep! Great info in Chryco's assembly post. Pixie and I created our Gantt chart of things to do using it...of course it looks shorter on Chryco's post. And this is just one of 7 screen full of stuff.
Rev-It-Up

XeGnome

I love this project management approach to the rebuild. (I am a visual person though  :lookatthat: )  Being able to insert tasks in and out of where the project is and track the progress of it before the next item comes up is very helpful.
    of course... knowing that this parts needs to go in before that part is where experience really helps  :thinking:  paging Chryco... clean up on Isle one...

anlauto

I'm more of a doer ...instead of the hours it takes to write things down, I just go do it ! :wrenching:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha! What Alan says, I always think I'm going to take lots of photos but I'd sooner get another 2 pieces bolted on.
Sheldon

Rev-It-Up

It helps me get things out of my head and also reduces the amount of head banging because I forgot something.  It really doesn't take hours...just like making a grocery list.
Rev-It-Up

Cuda Cody

That's an impressive chart!   :yes:  I'm a list type of guy.  Helps me keep track of what I'm doing and when to do it.

HP_Cuda

It also ensures you don't buy the same part 3 times over because you forgot you already bought it.

:deadhorse:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

blown motor

Quote from: HP_Cuda on March 06, 2017, 09:07:30 AM

It also ensures you don't buy the same part 3 times over because you forgot you already bought it.

Hey I just did that! My car is stored away from my residence. I just bought a can of grease and wax remover and went to the car. Guess what was there. The can of grease and wax remover that I'd taken over there a few weeks ago.  :headbang: Of course I didn't notice it until I had opened the new one so I can't take it back.  :headbang:  :headbang:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Rev-It-Up

Quote from: HP_Cuda on March 06, 2017, 09:07:30 AM

Exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid...here is our "To Buy" section... :Thud:
Rev-It-Up

usraptor

I should have done an inventory list when I bought my car.  Now that it's in paint, I can't find the passenger side mirror.   :pullinghair:  While I'm 55% sure I had it when I got the car, it was already partially disassembled, so I'm not positive and pictures of the car don't  help.  I've torn my shop apart and can't find it so I guess I'll have to order a re-production mirror or go with the chrome mirrors I bought on impulse a few years back.   :vipermanhiding:

Jakesgeneral

A thread after my own heart. I use many project management best practices in my hobby, as a PMP and PM who manages projects daily for my day job,a s a  car hobbyist managing the restoration is paramount. Yes to save doubling up on items purchases and duplicate activities, the wax and grease remover mentioned above) so true and I can't tell you how many times I have duplicated activities. I have to laugh because doing those things makes ya feel crazy!   :drunk:

I have not used Microsoft Project and went to the level above with the Gantt chart, however that is very impressive, I have used just a standard SS (Spreadsheet) for the past 10 restorations I have tracked costs etc. Since unforeseen cicrumstances are difficult to see at the onset I will say I always have allotted a management reserve in the budget and have still blown it every time. But I tried.  :yes: Onsite Bodyguys quitting and having to switch gears to a  shop, then that shop fails to meet contractual deadlines etc. etc. or the sandblasting shop sells to a different owner and they double the costs from the last 5 jobs you did there. So many variables in this hobby. Nonetheless when these restorations get to be $30k-$50k and $75k, of us do-it yourselfers having some tools and techniques to manages is paramount.

Schedule is always just as important to me. A resto that takes too long gets stale and I get frustrated so keeping things going is key for me. Knowing that show chrome bumpers can take 9 months, getting those shipped out at the beginning is good. Just one example- know your long-lead items.

Order parts, wait from them to come it. put them on. Trying to order parts upfront to save shipping I think is is bad idea. I used to do this, then 2 years later trying to get the Paddoch ( remember those guys?  ), to take a part back was tough. And shopping the big 4-5 suppliers with codes off of Mo parts is tough. OR even becoming a parts dealer, AMD- I suggest JTM- Just In Time Manufacturing (assembly).   I ended up building a relationship with one main supplier closest to my place where I could always call the same person, and they knew me and my car. I think there were days when I could have saved $90 bucks or so on an oder with a coupon code but the relationship and cheap shipping, in 2 days, was worth it. Exchanges and returns, no issues. I'd end up dumping double-up or wrong parts and the swap every 3 years loosing $$$. Once I went to a pseudo main supplier that worked wonders.

The AAR resto about did me in. I may have one restore left in me.

Cuda Cody