Main Menu

Restoration tools for newbies

Started by Arctoad, December 18, 2018, 03:56:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Arctoad

Hello,
New to the site so I haven't had a chance to look around at previous messages.. Yes the same car obviously, did not pay anything close to Ebag.. In fact I had layed an offer on the Vehicle after looking at it thoroughly and the Owners declined. After the auction ended the winning bid backed out and I think they had enough so He contacted me.
It really is in good condition and I'm presently hunting down the original Mill.
Thanks,
Toad

CudaMoparRay

Cudajason

A second welcome from Cambridge Ontario.  @jimynick  usually beats me to these kinds of posts!!!

I grew up in Peterborough, where about outside of it are you?

There are few dedicated mopar guys in Peterborough.  Not sure how helpful they would be but they are around. 

The guys here are the best!  there is a wealth of knowledge here and no shortage of guys that are willing to share that knowledge.  Check out some of the videos on the main page and never be affraid to ask a question! 

Awesome first mopar by the way!!

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Arctoad

Thanks so much Cuda Jay,
I live in Millbrook just south of Peterborough. I am slowly finding out little by little so it'll be a long process. Looking forward to it though.
Cheers!

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Arctoad

Well a rotisserie is out of the picture, doesn't make sense given the fact that it is a low optioned non numbers car. That said i am just finishing an inventory of the parts that would have been original to the vehicle. As you know very expensive if at all possible to find so I'm thinking slowly body on, but I'd really like to come and see you about it.
Let me know your thoughts,
Thanks

anlauto

Any level of restoration is very expensive these days. As I mentioned in the other thread, this would be a great driver as it currently is for somebody wanting to get into the TA/AAR type Mopar.

My suggestion, if it doesn't take much to pass a safety here in Ontario and it runs pretty decent, I would put it on the road next Summer, drive it around and enjoy it as much as possible, making notes of any issues along the way...Then plan...plan and plan some more and save up lots of money before you start taking it apart....maybe start collecting the parts you want to replace....find a reputable paint shop ... keep in mind the average cost of a nice paint job in Southern Ontario starts around $15K NOT COUNTING any rust repair.... :o  rust repair adds up fast and reguardless of how nice you think your recent purchase is, it will need some level of rust repair. Then you have the typical reproduction parts, interior soft trim, weather-strips, chrome parts....To re-chrome one Challenger bumper in Southern Ontario is $950 at least....Mechanical ? Rebuild a motor, transmission, rear axle, new clutch etc...etc...etc...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Not one single car that I've restored in 32 years has ever seen a rotisserie ....  :haha: nor have I ever done a "frame-off" restoration on a Mopar :rofl: :rofl:

Arctoad

Hey was out doing some last minute Christmas shopping.. That was fun.
I think that is really the best plane for sure. I don't think it will take too much to certify, I haven't checked the brakes yet. I really do want to keep it as a driver but potentially later clean up things such as suspension components front and rear. When I made the offer I had mentioned it was too bad that the colour had been changed even though I really don't mind the Blue it's cool.

jimynick

Check out Rock Auto in the US. They will become your friend. I bought most everything to completely rebuild the front end of my Challenger from them, at much better pricing then the converted prices here. Do you know anyone with a US mailing address, because that's cheaper than paying 13% on everything having it shipped here. Many times I went to my mailbox in the Falls and when coming back, if I had less than say $300 in parts, they'd say "have a nice day" and wave me on. Good luck!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Arctoad

Thanks so much JNicks, I'll keep that in mind. I've used them for late model vehicles had no idea they were in the vintage car part market as well! How is the quality?
Thanks,
Toad

anlauto

Quote from: Arctoad on December 20, 2018, 05:06:24 AM
Thanks so much JNicks, I'll keep that in mind. I've used them for late model vehicles had no idea they were in the vintage car part market as well! How is the quality?
Thanks,
Toad

I buy all my Moog suspension parts from Rockauto, Moog is one of the better ones. Be sure to use our discount code.

Arctoad

Thanks much appreciated!
Any good reference material for six pack setups and Holley rebuild kits?
Toad

Cdnchallenger

Welcome Toad,

From down the road in Ajax. :canada:

Steve

Arctoad