Main Menu

1970 Gas Cap Info - What is correct?

Started by MoparCarGuy, December 06, 2022, 02:28:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MoparCarGuy

Let's hear some discussion on correct gas caps for each year of E-Body production.
1970 info below but I would like to hear confirmation that this is correct. My original 1970 Cuda gas cap is like the first picture.
Possible variations:
ECS (California) cars versus non-ECS (49-state cars)

The original 1970 non-ECS (evaporative control system) fuel cap looked like the one below labeled 70 cuda GAS CAP.jpg and was made by STANT.
Notice that the lettering is stamped into the cap, not embossed/raised and says VEN TED on the top with ANTI SURGE on the bottom.
The one pictured has the "S" for STANT rotated so it is not easily recognized as an "S".

The correct reproduction cap pictured below is galvanized. Another vendor has them in zinc dichromate. You can get the galvanized cap from a forum sponsor, Roseville Moparts https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/gas-cap-non-vented-1970-a-b-c-e/. Mopar used multiple vendors for many of these parts. That is probably worthy of another discussion about different dipped finishes.

Anybody else have details?

Katfish

Following along, I have 1 I'll never use

fc7cuda

Pic belonging to Terri McCann, previously saved.  Obvious ECS version.

fc7cuda

Incorrect reproduction version as mentioned by @MoparCarGuy

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: fc7cuda on December 07, 2022, 06:13:43 AM
incorrect reproduction version as mentioned by @MoparCarGuy

Yes, that cap is not correct. It has incorrect raised letters for ANTI SURGE at the top and VENTED at the bottom.

mccannix

Regarding the one with the yellow ECS label,
the cap itself is smaller diameter than the correct 70 Anti Surge
Vented cap