Main Menu

25 Year Mark At Work

Started by RusTy/SE, September 19, 2019, 09:46:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RusTy/SE

I cannot in all honesty think of myself as a long term planner, but instead an in the moment person - and always happy to be there. Not once in my life have I considered intentionally securing work with retirement in mind, much less spend decades expecting to work for the same employer. So for me to reach the 25-year mark, all in IT for the Alabama Dept. of Labor has me smiling at myself and shaking my head a bit.

Seven years on the Mainframe in Computer Operations before a transfer to what's now known as Desktop Support (and the personal computing world) two weeks before 9/11. I've seen other techs and supervisors come and go but since 2001, I trained alongside Brad D. (the co-worker who unbeknownst to me at the time put the good word in for me with the Boss) eventually travelling on my own to various Department locations throughout the state.

Brad is 59, 6'5" and as a former longtime Basketball player has always stayed in good shape for his size. I'm a little guy, just turned 61, and 5'8" so Brad naturally fell in to the muscle side of things with me helping anywhere I could; lots of learning by observing. I figured we'd be there until we decided we wouldn't.

I get a little long winded here because well, things can change quickly and sometimes life cares little for plans.

Long story short, Brad left after lunch July 3rd and would not return until the 1st week of April. As he explained he had been diagnosed with a series of mini-strokes, small heart attack, kidney issues and as a self professed beach bum and just for good measure, three malignant cancerous skin spots had been found on his back/shoulders with the last of these being removed yesterday. This after another one of our techs, Mark H. - again a healthy 40 year old - suffered a brain aneurysm last November. Returning after 6 months he is now walking with the aid of one of those canes which have 4 small feet on the bottom. And moving v-e-r-r-y slowly when he walks anywhere. He mind is fine, but he's essentially deskbound. Brad's current condition leaves him pretty much as before but I can tell he's a shadow of his former self. There are two women in our unit as well and I help everybody as much as I can but I know that I am also a second away from who-knows-what.

Me? I'm fortunate so far. Two days a week at the local 'Y' wrapped around three evenings a week at the local family owned pizza buffet where they know me very, very well.  Don't drink or smoke or take a pill for anything.

So I am up for the rat race a little while longer, thankful I've made my 25 while still being able to enjoy things, and all things considered, just happy in the moment.

And SO looking forward to the next Deep Purple concert 9/29 over in Atlanta  :yes: :cheers:
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

Chryco Psycho

Congrats on Making 25 years & still being healthy ... We nned to get your car built tho ! :slapme5:

Cuda Cody

RusTy/SE

Thanks, didn't mean to get so long winded. My car,  and this site have both contributed greatly to making it to this point. 

I think bad thoughts of retiring one day and taking that initial lump of cash and marching straight to the AMD center in Cleveland, Ga to get things started instead of keeping the cash for a comfortable life after work.

Some weird resto version of Christine as the car controls and directs me while bad things happen to those who don't perform authorized repairs correctly, lol ... :takemymoney: :wrenching: :takemymoney:

JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

Dakota

Quote from: RusTy/SE on September 19, 2019, 09:46:49 PM

So I am up for the rat race a little while longer, thankful I've made my 25 while still being able to enjoy things, and all things considered, just happy in the moment.

And SO looking forward to the next Deep Purple concert 9/29 over in Atlanta  :yes: :cheers:

Congrats on reaching the 25 year mark in one piece.   I went to my 40 year reunion for my high school a couple of years ago.   We had a big graduating class (630ish), but more than 10% have passed away.

May there be Smoke on The Water if you see My Woman from Tokyo while you're busy being a Highway Star at the Deep Purple concert.   Enjoy!

7E-Bodies

Congrats on quarter century! Just hit 27 myself in electrical utility, system relay protection. Take it to the finish line!
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

dodj

Congrats on the 25 years! There are not many of us anymore that had the good fortune to have a long rewarding career in one workplace.

Quote from: RusTy/SE on September 19, 2019, 09:46:49 PM
So I am up for the rat race a little while longer

Just my  :alan2cents: There is something to be said for retiring while your health is all good.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

MEK-Dangerous

Russ,

You are gold. I was able to meet you a couple of times at Carlisle. Congrats in making the 25 year mark at work. It's good to know you are happy buddy. Keep trucking on!