Main Menu

Any Movie Makers here?

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, December 31, 2018, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

Yes Murray included ! Any way I've got a new computer coming with windows 10 pro. They don'y come with windows movie maker included. Actually I'm good with that - Movie Maker was very "glitchy" and often froze up. I'd like to graduate from that. I'm looking for a video editing program Ol' BIGS  can learn to edit with, without needing an engineering degree. and wont crash all the time. It does not need to be a "freebie". I've read good things about Pinnacle 22 but looking for suggestions from real users. If you google video editing programs you get pages and pages of hype. Anybody got "real world" experience?

Cuda Cody

I use Vegas Pro and it's really good, but might not be very easy to learn.  Once you learn it though it is super powerful.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-pro/

redgum78

I use Ubuntu (Linux) rather than Windows and it comes with Openshot Video Editor. It is free and probable has a Windows version. Very simple but works for all the basic videos I have done.

blown motor

You might not be surprised to hear from me @BIGSHCLUNK  I just got a new laptop with a huge video card for making videos. We downloaded Davinci Resolve 15, it's a free download. This was on the advice of my daughters boyfriend who is very knowledgeable in computer stuff. He put a few programs through a test run before deciding which one to use. I haven't tried it yet. Should get on that soon.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

soundcontrol

I make film and TV for a living. Sound though, but I use video editing programs also. Avid Media Composer is standard in hi end work, there is a free version: https://www.avid.com/media-composer-first. (Mac and PC)
I use Final Cut Pro (for Mac though) a lot of PC users I work with use Adobe Premiere nowadays.
Resolve is good, we use it, not the free version though, not sure how that one is.

BIGSHCLUNK

Thanks for the input guys!

Cody, I've heard of this one from someone too. They like it but could not say how it was since MAGIX took it over (??) Is this the version your using?

redgum78 - looks like they do have a windows version... I will need to "read up"

Murray - that's another one I've not heard of.  Wish you already had some experience with it

soundcontrol - nice to get input from somebody who does it for a living ! I've heard of avid. I understand you start w this but finish w something else?? Explain please. I also heard of the adobe, from what i see it's a monthly subscription, I don't do enough to warrant that.  But not afraid to spend a hundred or two if need be.   

My biggest thing is learning curve and no glitchy/freeze up stuff. Every video I've ever done w Movie Maker - the thing that took the most time is the re-edits because things froze or did not save properly. I did a little research and found that a four core processor is best for video. So that's what I have coming (and big memory). As I looked "googled" video programs I was amazed at how many there were. And the related hype !  Which is why I'm looking for real users!!! 

blown motor

@BIGSHCLUNK  He said that Davinci Resolve will take a little bit to learn but once you learn it it's easy to use. He has used it for a few things and it does everything, whatever that is. You don't have to convert the footage from your camera or GoPro to put it in the timeline. Just drag it in and cut each end.

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: blown motor on January 01, 2019, 10:01:58 AM
@BIGSHCLUNK  He said that Davinci Resolve will take a little bit to learn but once you learn it it's easy to use. He has used it for a few things and it does everything, whatever that is. You don't have to convert the footage from your camera or GoPro to put it in the timeline. Just drag it in and cut each end.
No conversions is good! I run into that with AUDACITY all the time. It wont take .wma for example. GOLDWAVE will take anything but certain tracks just work better for me in the other program  :bricks:

soundcontrol

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on January 01, 2019, 09:38:51 AM
soundcontrol - nice to get input from somebody who does it for a living ! I've heard of avid. I understand you start w this but finish w something else?? Explain please. I also heard of the adobe, from what i see it's a monthly subscription, I don't do enough to warrant that.  But not afraid to spend a hundred or two if need be.   

Yes, just looked at Adobe, they are moving everything to subscriptions now, many companies are doing that, not great for smaller users. We cut the films in Avid Media Composer, then I use Avid Pro Tools and a bunch of other programs to finish the sound while the VFX and grading guys does their final touches on the picture with DaVinci Resolve, thats the most common workflow.

BIGSHCLUNK

@soundcontrol thanks for the clarification. Now , am I understanding you are use Davinci in the end result? The program that @blown motor  mentioned?? Maybe I'm bettwer off going to that directly? Altho I reallly don't want a steep learning curve if that's the case.   

blown motor

@BIGSHCLUNK If I can learn it, you can learn it. I don't think it's that hard to learn. It seems we played around with it before and it wasn't overly complicated. You just have to clear the old program you are using now out of your head. Not hard for me, I forget most things anyway.  :D

soundcontrol

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on January 02, 2019, 08:09:52 AM
@soundcontrol thanks for the clarification. Now , am I understanding you are use Davinci in the end result? The program that @blown motor  mentioned?? Maybe I'm bettwer off going to that directly? Altho I reallly don't want a steep learning curve if that's the case.

Yes, we use DaVinci Resolve for grading (final color correction), thats the last touch on the film before it goes to the movie theaters or TV. We use an expensive version of that though, with hardware. Try the free version, I bet your'e up and running in an hour or less, those programs are not as complicated as they seem, there is tons of options that you might not need but the basic editing is very similar to anything else.

303 Mopar

I think I've stretched iMovie to its limits, so this is good stuff! I'm looking at Go Pro type cameras too but haven't found one I like yet. Although this one looks cool with the 360 camera.