Main Menu

Are "Protection Plans" worth it?

Started by Cuda Cody, August 15, 2017, 10:02:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Do you add the Protection Plan when you buy something?

Yes, always add it
0 (0%)
No, never pay for it
15 (57.7%)
Sometimes, just depends on the item
11 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

soundcontrol

I always deny any protection plan and extra insurance, think they are mosty scams.
Probably would have bought the popcorn plan though, and claimed hardware failure after I eat them :)

..btw, 24 bucks for popcorn?

Cuda Cody

:pokeeye:   Funny guy. 

That's the popcorn for the popcorn popper we have in the shop.  It is like the real movie popcorn and taste awesome.  I can not find anyone local who sells it.   :popcorn:   :pixiepop:  :popcorn:

Quote from: ViperMan on August 16, 2017, 12:49:26 PM
I think though we're all missing the much-bigger question here, and that is:

Why did @Cuda Cody buy popcorn off of eBay...?

:))

TheGanzman

A timely question, as I just got back from the Stealership after authorizing ~$5K worth of repairs on my wife's 2009 MB AMG SL63... :rubeyes:  We bought that car "pre-owned" (Gawd - I HATE that term!) from the same Stealership that has serviced it since then, ~4 years ago.  They offered a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty w/the purchase; I arm-wrestled them for ~2 hours and negotiated 2 years on the warranty.  ~2 months before it expired, the intake manifold required replacement, along w/both fuel rails - a $4,700+ repair that cost us NOTHING...

Before you go doing this:  :banana: here's the BAD news - car now needs new front rotors & pads (Brembo), new motor and transmission mounts, and various & sundry other things - the price of the rotors ALONE is $2,200+; that's for two count 'em TWO freakin' rotors!  This is me HATING new cars!

Having said all that, when I bought my '16 Mazda CX-5, I did buy the 7 year-100K miles bumper-to-bumper warranty for $1,700.00.  As a result, I drive it like it was a rental car, manually shifting it at close to redline on each shift, LOL.  I guess I'm just an old geezer, but I can NOT abide even the THOUGHT of a(nuther) multi-thousand $ car repair; it's just seats & a steering wheel, f'er Chrissakes! :(

Yeah, I know - poor YOU, limping along w/that AMG SL63...me & my 1st World Problems... :crying:

Katfish

Don't think a warranty would cover brakes, that's a normal wear item......

71GranCoupe

Seldom if ever have I purchased extended warranties. One that does come to mid was when the big plasma TV's came out. I did get one then and it did pay off. Usually the only ones that prosper from the warranties is the people selling them.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

We bought extended warranty for the wife's  MB 350SLK too but I would sooner have bought a better car that didn't need the extra warranty. Her choice though.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:

Buying "status" cars is just pissing $$ away , You pay too much up front , the devalue far faster as a 5 year old status car is not screaming status anymore & the maintainence on them is beyond stupid !!
A lump of iron formed into a brake rotor for most cars is Maybe $50 someone explain what is $2150 different in words I can understand please  :Thud:

ViperMan

Quote from: TheGanzman on August 16, 2017, 03:26:16 PM
Before you go doing this:  :banana: here's the BAD news - car now needs new front rotors & pads (Brembo), new motor and transmission mounts, and various & sundry other things - the price of the rotors ALONE is $2,200+; that's for two count 'em TWO freakin' rotors!  This is me HATING new cars!

What I'm reading here is "Don't buy a Mercedes..."  Brakes on my '09 Jeep will probably cost me $250 bucks for all four corners.  :)

I did look up rotors for the old Volvo S60 R I owned - I believe those rotors were well over $200 a piece...  So I sold it before it needed brakes!!  :))

Chryco Psycho

I almost bought a Porsche 928 S around 99 , the car was stupid cheap , & I had the cash , would have been a blast to drive between snowstorms !! What prevented me from buying it was simple ........ how much $$ when not if the _____ fails !
Personally you could not literally GIVE me a BMW / Audi / Benz / Lexus /Infinity , my experience is they are no better than a Hyundai or Dodge Ram & Cost 10x as much to fix / buy parts for .  :alan2cents:

Katfish

Simple economics, in exaggerated numbers,

If it cost $1M to design and bring to market a product and you sell 1, then that adds $1M to the piece part cost.
Now if you spend the same $1M and sell 1M parts, then it only adds $1 per part to the base price.