Main Menu

Buying off of eBay ?

Started by anlauto, September 10, 2021, 02:02:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Okay...so I never buy anything off of eBay....well until today... :headbang:

If you buy from a big company, and they say they have "2 in stock"  and you buy them both.....What happens if they come back and say they will be backorder, will ship in 6-8 weeks....Can you get your money back through PayPal ?

It seems that is happening to me with every place I order from lately  :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

SgtSuperbird

Request a refund from the company. If they won't, open up a "case" with eBay. They actually are very good with their buyer protection program.

Rich G.

I've never had that happen on eBay but the buyer seems to be pretty safe. Maybe I've just been lucky. I buy a lot through eBay now that swap meets seem to be a thing of the past.

Mrbill426

Have used eBay quite a bit over the years and have never had a "backorder" issue.  Sounds like something a reputable seller would NOT want hanging over them... I'd ask for a refund since they did not represent the product right.  If they don't budge then notify eBay and/or PayPal.

70vert

I've not had any issues, and all the feedback seems to cover your options.

Interestingly, the last time I ordered from a "big" retailer off ebay there was a paper in the package that said next time to order from their retail site and avoid taxes. I made note since that can add up!!

B5fourspeed

I have brought over 1000 items on Ebay.If they are out of stock the sellers have always given me the option for a refund or wait it out.The key is not let a dispute go past ebays policy or you are screwed.

anlauto

Oops...I guess I should clarify....They haven't told me the items are backordered YET....I'm just asking what I could do IF that happens....

Twice now it's happened with larger companies....CLASSIC INDUSTRIES....their website said they had white convertible boots in stock....Legendary Auto Interior told me ten weeks...so before buying them I picked up the phone to confirm...guy said YUP two in stock on OUR shelves ready to ship....Great..I bought them, they charged my VISA...three days later they refund my VISA....and the status now says backordered...NO SWEAT you Americans say...What's the big deal ??? Cry Baby :crying:

Well guess what....VISA likes to play with the exchange rate....they charge one amount for incoming and one for outgoing.....I lost $49.00 because some inventory issue at CI....so I contact them to complain...all I got was "sorry for the inconvenience" :pullinghair:

JEGS  same deal....They have one "ship date" on their site, two days later they change it to 4-6 weeks longer...after they have your money... :deadhorse:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

MoparLeo

Alan, that is one of the good reasons to use PAY-PAL. No exchange issues and purchase protection. I have been selling and buying on eBay since 1999 and using PAY-PAL since it came out. Never a problem with getting a quick refund.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Mr Lee

One good thing about ebay is that each person using it, whether a buyer or a seller has a feedback rating.  Sellers want a good rating so, they will usually bend over backwards to satisfy their buyers so the buyer doesn't give them a bad rating on their purchase experience. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Rich G.

@anlauto I think Classic Industries is the worst on back orders. If I see something they list and it's doesn't say it's in stock I look somewhere else. They never seem to get it .

70vert

Does ordering off eBay from places like Jeg's offer some advantage over using their website? Just curious.

I have done it occasionally, when something popped up while meandering on eBay and didn't want to go find it on their website. So a convenience factor.

anlauto

Quote from: 70vert on September 11, 2021, 07:43:03 AM
Does ordering off eBay from places like Jeg's offer some advantage over using their website? Just curious.

I have done it occasionally, when something popped up while meandering on eBay and didn't want to go find it on their website. So a convenience factor.

I don't think there's a difference. In this particular case...I found the items on eBay, took the part number back to their website and could not find them on their website, that's why I'm leery about whether or not, they actually have them in stock  :looney:

340challconvert

Keep in mind; the global supply chain in in poor shape. The cost of global shipping has gone up 10 fold in the last year. Anything shipped from overseas is having trouble getting here and even getting unloaded from containers. Ordered a set of edelbrock aluminum heads for my 340 from Summit in June; still not shipped  :'(

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

B5fourspeed

When you purchase on ebay you are protected by ebay
Policy.If you buy from a vendor and it goes sour you will have to deal with your credit card company to get your money back.

anlauto

Parts arrived today...all my worries were for nothing  :no: