Main Menu

Can I ask an A-body question on here?

Started by Jocigar, October 24, 2019, 11:26:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

I'm looking at a 67 dart GT.   Rear leaf springs are almost flat, where would I get replacements, maybe some that offer a little lift at same time?  thanks!

DeathProofCuda

Here is one option.

http://www.springsnthings.com/leaf-spring.htm

When researching leaf spring options in the past, ESPO and one other supplier (can't remember which one) came up most often in recommendations on other Mopar forums.  I can't vouch for either personally.  Looks like they have options for raising or lowering the ride height.

HP2

They are supposed to appear almost flat in their installed position. Are issues with ride quality or spring wrap or is it simply ride height?

Espo and Eaton are often recommended vendors. I'd also add Roseville Moparts and Mancini racing.

erik70rt

I get all my rear springs from ESPO/Springs and Things.  I've used 1" over stock and 2" over stock and was happy both times.   :ohyeah:
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Jocigar

HP2  it has some lift bars on the back of leaf springs and they are on the last extension hole. 

It stands flat but I would rather not see the step ladder adapter  (I thought the springs were shot since they are flat)

Not going back to my high school days.. I'd just like to get it a little above flat.   not sure if 1 or 2 inch over is better?

Thanks All

YellowThumper

In that case. Change out and replace extensions with factory pieces. With normal mounting points the springs may again retain at least close to normal arc and ride height.
Lowest cost and easiest change out first.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Marksmopar1

I have had several sets of springs on my A bodies re-arched
Add a leaf as well if you want... easy, cheap and keep your original springs that are likely better quality than new anyway.
   1-2 inches...as they settle a bit anyway...  I noticed a huge difference in handling following the fix... much better!

Jocigar

Thanks All,   

I wonder who does the re-arching?  a suspension shop I guess... think they would have a leaf to add?

ESPO sounds like the way to go at ~$230 a set with 2" lift, I'll check with Roseville before ordering.   

HP2

I'd agree with yellowthumper  about swapping the shackles first and see what that nets you, especially since you want these eventually anyway.  If it sits too low for your preference, then you can examine replacement options.

Quote from: Marksmopar1 on October 24, 2019, 10:32:06 PM
I have had several sets of springs on my A bodies re-arched
Add a leaf as well if you want... easy, cheap and keep your original springs that are likely better quality than new anyway.
   1-2 inches...as they settle a bit anyway...  I noticed a huge difference in handling following the fix... much better!

This is a big variable based on where you live and where you get replacement parts from.  In my neighborhood it used to be that any muffler shop could over-arch an old set of springs and restore height and they'd do it for around $50.  If you wanted another leaf it was an extra $15. Now days most have got out of the business and those that remain are charging $300 for re-arch and add a leaf.  For that price I'd get replacements.

blown motor

I had mine re-arched about three years ago at a spring shop. I think it cost $150 including new bands and bushings.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

Long shackles are a bad idea, I would get rid of them for sure. When these cars were in JYs a normal mod was to get an extra main leaf, cut the eye's off and add it to the spring pack. It worked well but finding used parts that aren't beat to death is not as easy now.
Sheldon

Jocigar

I don't have the car in hand yet, but the shackles are there to raise the car since springs settled is my guess.   

They are longer than stock shackle so I cant visualize how going back to stock would raise the car or at least keep it flat ? 

The person selling told me his mechanic said 'you can change the springs or install taller shackles as a cheaper alternative to fix the sag.

Keep you posted once I have the car, thanks for tips, links and advise.

72 Challenger

Most truck shops (like large trucks, semi's, dump trucks etc...) re-arch springs. that's what I do here.

Keep on rockin' the A body! I sold my Challenger to try an A body and must admit it's a blast to drive.
Someday I will have a J0b.

YellowThumper

Quote from: Jocigar on October 25, 2019, 07:49:49 AM

I don't have the car in hand yet, but the shackles are there to raise the car since springs settled is my guess.   

They are longer than stock shackle so I cant visualize how going back to stock would raise the car or at least keep it flat ? 

The person selling told me his mechanic said 'you can change the springs or install taller shackles as a cheaper alternative to fix the sag.

Keep you posted once I have the car, thanks for tips, links and advise.
Longer shackles will initially raise car as was their purpose. The lift is only temporary. Factory shackles limit the amount the springs can flex outward. Thus they keep their intended shapes. Longer shackles allow greater movements allowing springs to grow in length when springing. They are no longer contained. This then allows them to flatten out further. You end up with the reverse effect of putting them on in first place. The "contained" springs may raise car because of the now limited overall length.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

Exactly. Cars with longer shackles will have a reverse arch on the back half of the spring generally.
Sheldon