Main Menu

Closed tomorrow?

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, January 29, 2019, 06:06:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

For the second time in 35 years I've closed the shop for tomorrow.... stay warm my friends

JH27N0B

They sent out an email at work today saying due to the extreme weather the next few days, discuss with your manager about working from home.
I have no access to the tools I use at work like CAD, outside of the office, nor do many of the engineers there.  So tomorrow morning I will drag myself out in the -20 to -25F world, with -50 wind chills, to see if my car will start.  And if so, drive 25 miles to the office.  If I make it, I am guessing the place will be almost a ghost town except for some engineers.
Yesterday we had a big snowstorm and I was several hours late.  Then another light snow hit to screw up my afternoon drive.
This really sucks.

Aar1064

Quote from: JH27N0B on January 29, 2019, 06:18:27 PM
They sent out an email at work today saying due to the extreme weather the next few days, discuss with your manager about working from home.
I have no access to the tools I use at work like CAD, outside of the office, nor do many of the engineers there.  So tomorrow morning I will drag myself out in the -20 to -25F world, with -50 wind chills, to see if my car will start.  And if so, drive 25 miles to the office.  If I make it, I am guessing the place will be almost a ghost town except for some engineers.
Yesterday we had a big snowstorm and I was several hours late.  Then another light snow hit to screw up my afternoon drive.
This really sucks.

Here in Tennessee we stay home with 2 inches of snow. There's alway ice under the snow. Can't even imagine how you all deal with these temps.

anlauto

It's "Global Warming" I tell ya ! :verymad:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BIGSHCLUNK

Monday I lived in my New Holland moving snow for 6 hours.. I was cold deaf and in a trance. They are talking 28 below w a 50 below wind chill ( ya I realize my Canadian friends  are having a chuckle here) But I cannot risk the lives of my crew. There is no amount of money I could make to make it worth the risk. On the upside I was able to list my closing on 3 of the 4 local TV stations, hell I thought free advertising. Ya global warming my azz 

70 Challenger Lover

Aar1064, I just noticed you are in Ashland city. That's where we want to move in two years. We are sort of checking out that whole area west of Nashville including Pegram. 

Yeah I don't know how folks handle those extreme temps. I like the change of seasons and even some cold but 15-20 degrees is about my limit.

JH27N0B

Below zero lows is not unusual here winters, but below zero highs are very rare.  And tomorrow they forecast something like -14 for a high! That will be a record.
We had about 6" of snow overnight Sunday into Monday morning.  It takes them a while to get everything cleaned up after an overnight snow.  And complicated by the low temps, which makes the huge amount of salt they dump on the streets less effective.  So all in all, there is risk of slippery areas or "black ice" regardless of all the salt.
The streets were very wet today with all the salt, which adds another level to the misery.  When you drive, salt spray coats your windshield, and with it so cold, your windshield washer fluid most likely will be froze, so even if you try to run your wipers, it just smears the salt.  Drive toward the sun, and you can't see in front of you!
The record low in Chicago is -27.  I was around 20 yo then living at my parents when that happened, but now 30 plus years later I'm in no mood to see that record possibly broken!  :o
Oh, forgot to mention, the high winds are not only causing outrageous wind chills, they are blowing snow out into the roads, where it's too cold for the salt to melt.

Topcat

@BIGSHCLUNK

I was actually thinking of you last night during the weather forecast on the news before I went to Bed.

Highlights on the Arctic Polar Vortex.

..."How in the hell do they do that there"?

So I heard today that it's actually colder where you're at than Antartica.

Brads70

Ya Canadian or not at -25C I don't work outside much. Don't blame you at all Bigs!  :wave: I stay inside and feed the woodstove!

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on January 29, 2019, 06:31:27 PM
Monday I lived in my New Holland moving snow for 6 hours.. I was cold deaf and in a trance. They are talking 28 below w a 50 below wind chill ( ya I realize my Canadian friends  are having a chuckle here) But I cannot risk the lives of my crew. There is no amount of money I could make to make it worth the risk. On the upside I was able to list my closing on 3 of the 4 local TV stations, hell I thought free advertising. Ya global warming my azz 

RUNCHARGER

I don't miss trying to keep trains running in the cold and snow, I'll tell you that.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

Quote from: Brads70 on January 29, 2019, 06:48:59 PM
Ya Canadian or not at -25C I don't work outside much. Don't blame you at all Bigs!  :wave: I stay inside and feed the woodstove!

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on January 29, 2019, 06:31:27 PM
We're fahrenheit here, I looked up a conversion program and -25F is -31C.

blown motor

I saw @BIGSHCLUNK  post about closing. Misunderstood it. Though maybe he was shutting things down big time. Had to call him. Had a good talk. Turns out we're still above 0*F so we're warmer than he is. Told him I was going to put on shorts, grab my lawn chair and a beer and go sit outside.  :D  :cheers:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

BIGSHCLUNK

Just had the dogs out... hope I dont need to sit to pee  :rubeyes:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Topcat

Postman on the news said he had 3 sets of thermals on.

Do Dogs wear thermals there too?   :haha:

jimynick

Yeah, we're in a cold snap right now, and it's gotten so bad that the wife insisted that I go out and bring in the brass monkey! Makes me think of my late Dad; he used to say "it's colder than a whore's heart!" LOL, Jimmy always did have a flair for a phrase. One bright spot though, you don't need to put the beer in the 'fridge to get 'em cold!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"