Main Menu

Closed tomorrow?

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, January 29, 2019, 06:06:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

:iagree: The right clothes make all the difference!
It warmed up to the tropical temperature of -15C here today. Almost felt balmy ........It's that -20C and beyond that gets me grumpy....

jordan

I have a hospital job.  We never close.  Ever.  So off to work i go every day.  Yesterday at 6:30 it was -23F on the way in.  The wind was making it much worse.  On the way out it was a balmy -12F.  Today at 6:30am I saw -30F on the way into work.  It was a breeze getting my truck started this afternoon at -6F. 
     I take this weather serious.  It can put the hurt on a person real quick.  I get worried about a flat tire, or some stupid thing that could strand me.  I react horribly to the cold.  My feet freeze instantly, as well as my fingers.  It can cause serious problems pretty quickly if you are exposed.  I feel this weather is more of an emergency than tornadoes to a greater number of people.  Some day I will be like Chryco and move south where the only way my feet will get cold is if I step on an ice cube that I dropped trying to get it into my drink. 
     Stay warm and safe people.
"Don't brake until you see God!"

JH27N0B

It was interesting going to work yesterday, the world was pretty much devoid of people like a nuetron bomb went off!  Hardly any traffic, most businesses were closed, and I got to park in the front row in the parking garage.  I'd say 75% of the employees at my work weren't there.
Today, the temperatures were similar when I got up, around -21, but more traffic and many more people made it in to work.  I was wondering, if everyone had to hunker down Wednesday, why with similar weather were so many more out and about today?
My main worry was about my house.  Would the boiler break? Pipes freeze?  As it turned out, no problem. I heard some people at work had frozen pipes though.
All in all, the cold snap was over rated, hyped up by the media.  I'm more inconvenienced by snow!

jimynick

Jordan, one of the first things my old man taught me when I reached driving age, was to be prepared for winter, and that meant a toque, pair of mitts, a warm blanket, pair of jumper cables, aluminum grain shovel, chunk of tow chain and a gallon can of gas where things you ALWAYS carried in winter. A small vessel of medicinal-purposes only whisky was a valid addition as well, and you ALWAYS stopped and enquired on the well being of anyone stopped on the side of the road. If the old Bruce County ways were followed today, you wouldn't feel so concerned about a breakdown. Be safe and warm!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I always carried survival items when traveling all over the province for work. I remember one time an equipment salesman had his vehicle break down in the cold weather (on one of the highways I traveled to work) and no one came by right away. He set the spare tire on fire to keep warm, that's the sort of stuff you do to survive.
I always snowmobiled so it was a natural to keep my snowmobile gear in the pickup at all times in the winter.
Sheldon

Bullitt-

I'm curious about what you's guys spend for utilities up North

One of the good things I perceive about livin Down South is our lower cost of living.
I wonder what the difference is in what we pay in energy/utilities. My 3,000SF home is older, built in '73 prior to the energy crisis's that inspired a lot of changes to construction to reduce power consumption yet my power bills seem reasonable. My highest bill this season was last month with total Electric of $99 & Gas of $164, I anticipate this month will be somewhat higher.  My highest bills are always in the winter with the highest summer month last year Electric $209 & Gas $9. There's plenty of months that total power cost is closer to $100. 

This might help some of the northerners that want to migrate south make a decision. LOL

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

blown motor

I live in a century old frame farm house. It's been renovated and insulated but you still don't get them as tight as a new build. Last month my propane bill was $285, about $215 US, for heat, hot water and clothes dryer. I buy propane with a farm group so we get a much better price than an individual consumer.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

I live in a 15 year old 2340 sq/ft home in a subdivision lot size 40' X 116' . Georgetown Ontario Canada

The average for the last six months...  Hydro/water $342/month , Natural Gas $184/month, property tax $445/month, Cable/telephone/internet $272/month :'(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bullitt-

@anlauto Alan you must have a leak in your pool.... LOL  My water bill last month was $15.40  which is typical unless I water the lawn....  Your tax is ridiculous as well, my annual property tax is $1474.    Cable/internet would depend a lot on your services but I'm getting by on $152, I think my Mom's is a tick over $200.
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

Welcome to Canada, the land of the free  :canada:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

Quote from: anlauto on February 01, 2019, 06:31:26 AM
Welcome to Canada, the land of the free  :canada:
And the home of the brave!!!

Brads70

My oldest son is tougher than me. He sat out on the lake ice fishing all day. Me I'd just buy fish and chips somewhere warm!  :D

Chryco Psycho

All bills for the house including property taxes imternet & cell phone runs me $340 / mn

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel