Main Menu

Warning VIN defraud is still out there

Started by HP_Cuda, March 18, 2017, 11:26:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

HP_Cuda

Not on a Mopar but I just recently found some serious VIN fraud on an ebay listing which caught me by surprise. The particular car I was looking at and interested in only showed the VIN stamping on the inner fender. All looked good so far. Then I asked the owner for the data plate which should be attached to the driver side door.

The VINs absolutely don't match. To go a step further the VIN shown in the ebay ad is like saying hey I have a "V" code Cuda but actually it's just an "N" code Cuda. I'm glad I found this out before I bid and I'm sure the person who wins will not be happy.

The sad fact is that I have reported things like this to ebay before and they have done absolutely nothing.

Caveot Emptor!!!!

B
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cuda Cody

What do you think happened to these VIN's?   :dunno:

[ebay]201856919741[/ebay]

HP_Cuda

I think the better question is how many people fall for this and propagate the fraud forward not knowing where all the VIN stamps are on the car and what to look for?

It would seem as time goes on this will only increase since there is only a finite amount of "R, V, U" code e-bodies.

Just as there a finite amount of higher class muscle cars and maybe that's why in Cheby land there are more SS clones then there are real SS cars.

Cuda Cody

It's one of the reasons we put this together.  The more you know the better you can protect yourself.

http://www.e-bodies.org/buying-your-first-e-body/vin-numbers/

Quote from: HP_Cuda on March 18, 2017, 12:46:47 PM

I think the better question is how many people fall for this and propagate the fraud forward not knowing where all the VIN stamps are on the car and what to look for?

It would seem as time goes on this will only increase since there is only a finite amount of "R, V, U" code e-bodies.

Just as there a finite amount of higher class muscle cars and maybe that's why in Cheby land there are more SS clones then there are real SS cars.

HP_Cuda

Precisely why this is the best ebody site out there.  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:  :banana:

Unfortunately this fraud is across all classic muscle car makes and models it seems.  :bricks:

HP_Cuda

Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

Do these match? The door tag has the 5 there it's just painted over.

Unbelievable, either this guy has no idea and is passing this along or this is outright fraud.