Main Menu

Good choices for a budget tow vehicle

Started by JH27N0B, October 20, 2018, 10:21:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

I pulled my Cuda home with my 2013 F150 3.6 Ecoboost and it handled it easily.  400+ lb-ft of torque stock and more with a tune.  Got almost 18 MPG on our 4000 mile round trip to Florida (no trailer) this summer too.  I can justify a diesel for the amount I tow and it's my DD so this is the next best for me. 

RUNCHARGER

The Dodge trailer mirrors do fold out. I don't find them attractive however they are certainly usable. I am not a Ford fan but I too like the Excursions as well. I find them much more attractive than Suburbans.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

This is the one I'm interested in.  At least in the pictures, it looks mint.  Seats hardly look sat in, no surface rust on the hitch, maybe never been used for towing?  Tires look new.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CH1018-361864/2003-ford-excursion/
I never had a GM in my life, though I have had a number of Fords for daily drivers, and other than a Lincoln, all were very reliable.
As I previously mentioned, I would only bid if it checks out well and bidding doesn't take off.  I would guess that only some dealers probably would be in the bidding for this on a Thursday.
I've got a tough choice to make Thursday, should I wear my Charlotte Motor Speedway T shirt I wore when I won my '71 V code at an auction some years back, for good luck,  or my E body.org shirt to show my true colors?  :clueless:

1 Wild R/T

JH27N0B

Well I took a pass on the Excursion at Mecum today.  I'll post a thread about the auction with pictures tomorrow.  Too late to download and post now.
It was clean but had 225,000 miles.  Also it had a 3.73 non limited slip rear where I've heard the 4.10 is really the way to go. it sold for $6000 plus buyer premium.
There was another one there I hadn't seen on their website, another V10 and white. It had 165,000 miles.  Also 3.73 rear. I left before it ran.
A friend of mine knows a dealer downstate who deals in trucks and said I should talk to them about a truck.  I'll see what they can come up with a 5.7 2WD 2500 or a V10.

1 Wild R/T

You ought to come out to the land of rust free vehicles & drive something back.... Doesn't matter if you choose California, Arizona, Nevada, Just not Illinois, Ohio. Michigan, or Wisconsin, or Minnesota... :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Yup: I drove 1800 miles one way to pick this one up as it was rust free. Driving is cheaper than bodywork and no rust fixes later on.
Sheldon

JS29

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on October 25, 2018, 08:51:16 PM
You ought to come out to the land of rust free vehicles & drive something back.... Doesn't matter if you choose California, Arizona, Nevada, Just not Illinois, Ohio. Michigan, or Wisconsin, or Minnesota... :alan2cents:
OR NEW YORK!!!!!!! :crying: