Main Menu

Way Off Topic... Low Budget Kitchen Remodel

Started by 1 Wild R/T, June 29, 2018, 08:03:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

I've had a small part in this but mostly Momma has been busy for the past 3 months staining kitchen cabinets.... I routered out eight of the flat panels so we could add etched glass..... I think it looks damn good & I'm proud of her for seeing it through....

Before & after pictures...

Oh, she says no but I'm thinking I should buy her a quartz countertop that looks like marble....

Cuda Cody

That's impressive!  Very nice work.   :clapping: 

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 29, 2018, 08:11:38 PM
That's impressive!  Very nice work.   :clapping:

When she started I expected to have to finish it.... She learned that HGTV's weekend remodels aren't reality... I think she'll have more appreciation & understanding of why projects really do take longer than people who only watch TV & never actually do anything believe it should take..... Like I said, I'm proud of her....

Well Maybe Alan could get it done faster but we normal folks are a little slower...

BIGSHCLUNK

I'm impressed....., but don't give my wife any ideas..  :bricks:  :haha:  :haha:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on June 29, 2018, 08:32:49 PM
I'm impressed....., but don't give my wife any ideas..  :bricks:  :haha:  :haha:

Hey, if she does the work......  If you look it's all the same appliances, all the same cabinets including the doors.....   I bought stain, sealer, hinges & handles & etched glass.....   Spent less than $800.00.... Now if I decide to replace the brown granite with white quartz I'll blow the budget but thats my choice, she's told me no but I know she would love it & so far it's been super cheap....

I figure she lets me play with cars I can help her play with houses.....

Jay Bee

What a huge difference on the cheap, nicely done.   :twothumbsup:   
I'm helping my son and daughter-in-law are doing a medium budget kitchen remodel that includes eliminating the "Oak" too.

Chryco Psycho

Brads70

Looks nice but it also looked nice before.  We have oak cabinets too and the wife has been itching to paint it white. I guess I'm "old school" ?   She loves all those decorating show like most women I suppose?  Great if you have the money ...... If it makes her happy!   :bradsthumb:
I always have the garage!  :D

BIGSHCLUNK

I've seen those shows... employment vs budget ... really???  Anyway I know houses are like mopars - you start a project for X dollars... then you get the "well im here" "its half apart now" ect ect. XXX dollars later you done!  :bradsthumb:

Brads70

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on June 30, 2018, 08:01:32 AM
I've seen those shows... employment vs budget ... really???  Anyway I know houses are like mopars - you start a project for X dollars... then you get the "well im here" "its half apart now" ect ect. XXX dollars later you done!  :bradsthumb:

:iagree:  That and 5 years from now you get informed it's all out of style and we need to do it all over again! :pullinghair:

I guess it's like our cars.... they are never "done"  :haha:

Katfish

Love it! What's the process for attaching the glass?
I might want to give it a try.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Katfish on June 30, 2018, 08:15:09 AM
Love it! What's the process for attaching the glass?
I might want to give it a try.

The trick is this router bit...  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CNO7U4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   It cuts the recess for the glass & the bearing at the tip guides it off the inner frame so the cutout is perfect every time...   My doors are made with a 5/16 plywood back panel so I set the bit at the depth where it just cuts through the panel without cutting away any extra material & ran the router around each door.... Now I have a recess to accept the glass...  Well actually because my doors have the fancy curved shape at the top there was an extra step..... I can't cut curves in glass to well so I routed out the top as straight lines & I used a different bit without a guide bearing to make those cuts... I used a few pieces of wood clamped in place to guide the router for those cuts...

finally after Momma stained & sealed the frames I cut the glass & glued it in place with clear silicone...

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Brads70 on June 30, 2018, 08:04:23 AM
Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on June 30, 2018, 08:01:32 AM

:iagree:  That and 5 years from now you get informed it's all out of style and we need to do it all over again! :pullinghair:

I guess it's like our cars.... they are never "done"  :haha:

If I can keep her happy with projects like this I'm 100% cool with it.... I just can't justify paying big $$$ for a contractor to do a job we are able to do ourselves...

We keep doing little projects, some renovation, some needed maintenance... We don't hold a hard line on a budget but we don't waste money either....  My thoughts of splurging for a white quartz counter could be considered wasteful since our granite is in good shape but I'll repurpose those countertops in my shop....

RUNCHARGER

She did a great job. That really moderns up the kitchen.
Sheldon

Bullitt-

Kudos to you & the little lady......   :twothumbsup:
Amazing what a little imagination & determination can do.
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]