Main Menu

Way Off Topic... Low Budget Kitchen Remodel

Started by 1 Wild R/T, June 29, 2018, 08:03:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakiller70

Looks great! Looks way better than some of the contract work I've seen. Wish I would have blocked HGTV and QVC, dangerous.  No longer looking to move?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on July 01, 2018, 10:48:22 AM
Looks great! Wish I would have blocked HGTV and QVC, dangerous.  No longer looking to move?

I'd like to but the way prices on property are going I can't justify it....   And I was able to transfer my prop 13 benefit from the old house to this house which I couldn't do if I bought a bigger place.... Basically it's so cheap to stay here that I can't leave.... No house payment, property tax is locked at less than $600 a year.... I could quit my job & retire if I wanted to...  But instead I bank money so we can have more vacations & toys in the future...   

Yes we have idiots to deal with & I'd like to get away from them but honestly I think every neighborhood has a certain amount of idiots so you gotta either accept it or move to 20 plus acres.... Which I really don't want to have to take care of....

Cudakiller70

Yup I get. We are still thinking of doing the opposite, looked at a house in town prices are high and going up. The one we liked had bidding wars and a couple we knew started +50 k over asking. Sellers were overwhelmed and took house off market. If we buy a house for the same price as ours sells we too can keep the same property tax which is great.

RUNCHARGER

Ah: Moving is frustrating. We looked at a few in the country yesterday, Only one was perfect with a 3 car garage, nice finishing and yard but it was sold before we got there with 4 more people lined up to make offers. Junk is easy to buy but good places go right away.
A friend of mine (Mopar guy with a killer 69 Charger) does high end cabinet refinishing as a business. Interesting gig I think and not something I would have thought about doing.
Sheldon

cuda hunter

Looks great! 

Add the new counter tops.  Match the rear tile to the new marble.    That will make all the difference.  A lighter color tone will go well with the darker paint you put over the oak and the frosted windows. 

Good savings.  I just priced cabinets for a 2500 sq.ft. home I'm building.  18K.
Last house I built was 75K.  6K sq.ft.   You can put a ton of money into cabinets. 

So I'd say you made out well and deserve that new marble counter top. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: cuda hunter on July 04, 2018, 07:55:07 AM
Looks great! 

Add the new counter tops.  Match the rear tile to the new marble.    That will make all the difference.  A lighter color tone will go well with the darker paint you put over the oak and the frosted windows. 

Good savings.  I just priced cabinets for a 2500 sq.ft. home I'm building.  18K.
Last house I built was 75K.  6K sq.ft.   You can put a ton of money into cabinets. 

So I'd say you made out well and deserve that new marble counter top.

Thanks!, one point, it's not paint, paint would have been a whole lot faster & easier... It's a stain....  To get it as dark as she wanted took four coats of stain & three coats of sealer, plus a ton of prep....   I was expecting at the best that she would do a few cabinets & then I'd have to finish it & at worst I'd wind up having to replace all the cabinets once it became apparent the project was a disaster....  Instead she worked on it  steadily from February till now as she's actually still working on a few small details.....     

Oh, she actually started in the smallest bathroom, she's done all the built in cabinets all through the house..... Early on we discussed it & if it went badly I didn't want to have the kitchen cabinets screwed up...

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

ZEN357

Very nice!  I like the counter top you have in the kitchen.