Main Menu

Hack Job Pictures on Cars you've Owned, Found, or Seen

Started by Topcat, January 29, 2021, 06:39:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

Show us your Hack job pictures on projects or cars you own, owned, found, or seen.   :foul:

anlauto

Do you mean like quality metal work ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

:unbelievable:

ek3

oh yea !

ek3

and ...... fine welding skills .............

Flatdad

No thanks, I've looked at my own rebuild work enough times.  :vipermanhiding:

gzig5

Car got hit in the passenger door jamb, hard.  Idiot cut a section of the rocker out, and welded same piece back in after "straightening" it but only welded 30% of the seam along the top and none on the bottom.  Up to 3/8" of mud was used to cover the crime and bring the rocker out to about where it should have been. THe inner and outer rockers were separated in that section.  A pillar was band-aided too.  Pictures don't do the work justice.  No wonder the front drooped on this side and the fender to door gap opened up 3/16" when jacked up.   :bricks:

IRON MAN

Topcat, You may have seen my 55 "Shorty" at Baylands Raceway (Fremont Drag) parking lot or running around town in the 70's-80's. I put over 200,000 miles on this 55. The 55 was originally a 4-door wagon. With a big block it would pull the wheels off the ground in 2nd gear.

Skid Row

:rubeyes: Had a 2 piece trunk floor put in and they didn't remove the old floor from the frame rails or the gas tank braces.

RUNCHARGER

No pictures, most of my best hacks were discovered on my HemiCuda.
Drivers side door jamb pushed back at least an inch, AND repaired by filling that inch with bondo!
Ground of new purple paint to find black metal stained by brazing, remnants of  braze and other goodies where they "professionally" molded in an AAR style spoiler at one time.
I did keep a piece of a 1/4 panel it has the Hemi part of the hockey stick, covering FC7 paint covering 1 inch thick bondo.
When I had the rusted trunk floor repaired in my 70 R/T they just laid flat sheetmetal over the rusted original, my young self instructed them I wanted new metal welded in for the repair, yeah they did that sorta.
Window screen mesh molded into the front fenders of my 71 R/T, I guess to sort of support the bondo they slopped over it to cover rust.
There's more, but those are the highlights.
Sheldon

Topcat

:fingerscrossed:
Quote from: IRON MAN on February 01, 2021, 10:10:46 AM
Topcat, You may have seen my 55 "Shorty" at Baylands Raceway (Fremont Drag) parking lot or running around town in the 70's-80's. I put over 200,000 miles on this 55. The 55 was originally a 4-door wagon. With a big block it would pull the wheels off the ground in 2nd gear.

Yup I recognize it.

cuda dad

"...but that's how we did it back then!"

JS29

@RUNCHARGER  We used to call them "stuff and buff's" or used car dealer special's.  :barf:

benlavigne

Not much in repro panels available in 1980 to repair a rusted-out Superbird... Sheetmetal either new or ''recycled'' (road signs?)...

Ben

anlauto

Why replace the trunk floor when you can just make a patch, or two....or three.... :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration