Main Menu

How to identify factory shaker hood ?

Started by Racer57, February 10, 2021, 07:59:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

How can you tell if shaker hood and the shaker bubble is original production versus repop ? I don't mean factory installed.

7E-Bodies

Interesting question. I'll be following (obviously from your neck of the woods).
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Cuda_mark

Believe it or not, Season 6 of Graveyard Cars has an episode where they talk about the differences. Basically, the newer ones have a different number of spot welds and the areas where the stamping has a radius on it looks more wrinkled on the originals. I think it has to do with the manufacturing process where the originals were stamped and the reproductions are produced a different way. the reproductions actually look "better" but are less correct.

Bottom line is that an expert (not me) would be able to spot a reproduction one pretty easily.

Spikedog08

Quote from: Cuda_mark on February 10, 2021, 08:47:40 AM
Believe it or not, Season 6 of Graveyard Cars has an episode where they talk about the differences. Basically, the newer ones have a different number of spot welds and the areas where the stamping has a radius on it looks more wrinkled on the originals. I think it has to do with the manufacturing process where the originals were stamped and the reproductions are produced a different way. the reproductions actually look "better" but are less correct.

Bottom line is that an expert (not me) would be able to spot a reproduction one pretty easily.

What about a flat hood that has been converted into a shaker?   :thinking:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

mccannix

The 'tub' underneath on a factory shaker hood will have a few wrinkling areas, some more prominent than others,  unlike the any reproduction piece has.
Spotwelds on an original tub are uniform and larger than reproductions that I have seen, but they are getting more accurate.
Seam sealer on originals is usually more prominent.
Of course trim ring is aluminum on reproductions unless you get a Cuda hood with a Mike Ross reproduction trim ring which were an excellent almost undetectable reproduction.
As for the scoop, IMHO Tommy on here makes the best reproduction one on the market that I have seen to date.
Reproductions are made of fiberglass, originals of a fire retardent talc fibre material....
I'm sure others here have opinions as well.

Skdmark

I usually look for the drain holes in the original or lack of in the repro under hood brace.
Not sure if the newer repros have drain holes added.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

7E-Bodies

@Spikedog08 i have one. Converted from a pre crumple zone flat hood. Currently wall art.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green