Main Menu

I need nuts...

Started by Burdar, July 20, 2017, 12:44:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

I'm having a hard time finding the small lock nuts I need.  I'm looking for a 10-24 top lock nut.  I've found 100 different places that sell a nylon lock nut but I don't want nylon.  I need a top lock nut where the nut is compressed into an oval shape.  The only place I've found them is Fastenal.  My local store doesn't have them in stock and would have to order them in.  They are $.14 each and I only need 12.  The problem is that they would still charge me shipping.  I'm trying to avoid shipping costs on $2 worth of nuts.

Does anyone have another source?  The local hardware stores have top locks down to 1/4".  Anything smaller is nylon or toothed washers.

Cuda Cody

It's going to be hard to find the correct ones without having to pay shipping.  Dave at Rosseville sells the AMK's and they have a lot of the factory correct ones:

https://www.amkproducts.com/bulk2.asp?code=7106&title=Hex+Nuts+Prevailing+Torque

https://www.amkproducts.com/bulk1.asp

anlauto

I think a top-loc nut that small is a pretty odd ball. I'm surprised your local Fastenal wants to ding you shipping....usually mine will bring stuff in from other stores for free :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparDave

What's the actual application? something Custom?

either way you most likely are going to pay shipping of some sort.
Please Email me at daver@manciniracing.com or call 586-790-4100

Burdar

No application.  Just a generic top lock nut for a project.  My local Fastenal says anything they have to order gets charged shipping costs.  They would have to come from Indianapolis.  If I have to pay 3x the cost in shipping it isn't the end of the world.  I just thought maybe someone on this board was in the industry and would have a source.

MoparDave

Yeah,
I checked my AMK stuff and standard hardware. No 10-24 lock nuts,
Please Email me at daver@manciniracing.com or call 586-790-4100

1 Wild R/T

Try using the term "Stover Nut" 

Spikedog08

Post of pic of what you are looking for exactly please . . . If not nylon, then what makes it lock?
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Spikedog Rules! on July 20, 2017, 04:00:06 PM
Post of pic of what you are looking for exactly please . . . If not nylon, then what makes it lock?

Follow the link..

https://www.mcmaster.com/#90045a016/=18l30v7

Burdar

The upper part of the nut is slightly compressed so the hole is oblong. This creates resistance while tightening it. The lower control arm pivot pin nuts are this style.

A nylon lock nut is good until 250 degrees. Then the nylon starts to melt. I can't have these nuts backing off.

Burdar

What is the strength of standard threaded rod? Would a stainless nut like that gall on the rod and twist it off? I've read that stainless galls easy.

anlauto

Where are you using nuts that small ? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

jimynick

Quote from: anlauto on July 20, 2017, 07:35:17 PM
Where are you using nuts that small ? :huh:
Kind of a personal question, isn't that Alan?  :D
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Burdar

Attaching custom aluminum pieces to my valve covers. 10-24 studs will be loctited to the aluminum. The lock nuts will be on the bottom side of the valve cover. They will be subjected to hot oil spray. I researched online and the consensus is that a valve cover can get over 250 degrees.

10-24 thread has a minimum thread engagement of .133". That's as deep as I could go into the aluminum pieces. A larger fastener would require more threads.

anlauto

I understand now :ohyeah:...think you might have to splurge on shipping :bigmoney: