Main Menu

If they had a better idea why didnt they use it!

Started by Timbbuc2, April 19, 2017, 06:38:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Timbbuc2

I am one to buy a new car and drive the wheels off it, SO I bought a new 2003 Ford Sport , been a great truck. only 150k miles. But now it is in the shop getting a complete front end overhaul. Ball Joints, a-arm bushings  and tie rods, 1600USD. In the old days a company would put serviceable parts on cars where you could grease, but now its like the company's want a throw-away car. Not sure about other brands but I know about the Sportrac. I understand car company's wants to sell either a car or parts, but good grief they could do a little better. Oh yeah I have a 2010 Corolla with 230k miles on it and drive it everyday. Ok I am good now, I have vented :thinking: 
Get in, I'll drive

Cuda Cody

Is it a cost point thing?  :notsure:  Just using Ford for an example, our 2000 Ford work truck and the mid 2000's Ford Vans we run have greaseable zirk fittings and we normally get about 250K to 300K pretty easy on them.

rhamson

It is getting even better when some of the car companies will sue you if you mess with the CPU. They claim intellectual property rights under patent laws. :angry:

RUNCHARGER

150K is pretty good to get to where you need to rebuild the suspension. i agree that electronics is going to be a problem with the newish cars. The 60's and 70's cars we cherish needed suspension work before 150k and 100k was generally where a lot of them needed an engine overhaul. Cars are better now, they just don't have the soul they did is all.
Sheldon

Burdar

The new LX cars(Challenger/Charger/Magnum/300) are really hard on suspension components.  Aren't people rebuilding the suspensions on those at around 50k?

1 Wild R/T

Your Toyota Corolla weighs 2,723 to 2,965 lbs, spread pretty evenly over all four wheels.... About 750-800 lbs on each front wheel..

Your Ford Sport Trac weights 4,583 to 4,753 lbs with weight biased to the front.... Front wheels support likely 1400 lbs each.....

blown motor

Quote from: Burdar on April 19, 2017, 08:11:20 AM
The new LX cars(Challenger/Charger/Magnum/300) are really hard on suspension components.  Aren't people rebuilding the suspensions on those at around 50k?

:(' I just bought one of those!!
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

jimynick

Quote from: blown motor on April 19, 2017, 10:03:27 AM
Quote from: Burdar on April 19, 2017, 08:11:20 AM

:(' I just bought one of those!!
Don't worry Murray, yours has the unobtanium front end parts and will never need rebuilding buddy!  :D
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Bullitt-

Reminds me of around '69 my Dad traded for a '66 Polara with less than 30K on it. After a few months he had it at the Firestone store for a front end alignment, they told him the front end needed all sorts of parts like ball joints & tie rod ends...Dad couldn't afford to pay to have the work done so told them to do the alignment the best they could... He & I put another hundred thousand miles on that car & never replaced those parts...... Makes Ya Think  :dunno:  :takemymoney:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Timbbuc2

I know parts will wear out, but simple things like grease fittings would make parts last longer.
Get in, I'll drive

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Replaced the factory stuff on the Cummins at 50,000. The replacements were still going at 150,000 but I was always on with the maintenance. Man I miss this beauty. My 15 half ton isn't even half the truck.
Sheldon