Main Menu

leaf Spring Bushings

Started by johnr, January 07, 2023, 05:59:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

johnr

I am getting ready to install the leaf springs onto the '70 Challenger that I have been working on. I am retaining the original type rubber bushings throughout the car. I want to know if it would be a good idea to go with the polyurethane bushings in the shackles for the rear of the leaf springs to last longer?  I have always been adamant about not mixing the rubber & polyurethane due to one being so much stiffer. Thoughts to share?
--  johnr  --

57Fury440

I prefer the rubber like the factory used.

MoparCarGuy

I have the polygraphite urethane bushings in the leaf spring eyes. You feel and hear every bump. Save yourself the trouble and go with factory rubber bushings.

70vert

I went with the poly-graphite bushings on both ends of the rear leaf springs. I do not recommend it, and in fact I've been contemplating swapping back to rubber (but such a pain). As mentioned, you definitely feel them and are really not necessary on a street car.

anlauto

Also as a rule of thumb, you shouldn't mix them, all or nothing :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

I don't think I'd worry about how long the bushings will last unless this will be a daily driver even then it would probably never wear out .