Main Menu

Let's say I wanna buy some welders...

Started by ViperMan, August 17, 2017, 10:20:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ViperMan

What do you guys recommend for buying a welder?

I'd like to start with a TIG welder - something that can handle sheet metal for doing things like quarters, patching doors/etc...  I'm really wondering if I can get by with a 110v welder but obviously don't know.  I know I can go onto Craigslist or eBay, but I'm wondering if I want to mess with that or just get something new.  So in that event, what's a reasonable brand for quality but won't cost a freakin' fortune?

I'd also like to add a MIG welder later on, but those appear to not even come in 110v varieties.  However, since I'd be looking to weld brackets to frames, build frames, etc, I'm going to need 220v anyways.  So same question - reasonable balance between cost & quality?

Lastly, I know I can basically get an acetylene torch and use it for welding/cutting/etc, but I know that welding sheet metal with a torch requires very careful prep work, and I don't know I'll always be able to pull off the tight gaps that requires.  On the same token, I realize it'd cost me a tiny percentage of buying a welder, and requires no electricity, so I'm torn there as well...

Thanks for any suggestions!

ViperMan

For example, anyone use Eastwood products?  I've been watching some of their videos online and their prices are pretty cheap.

Was looking at this today: http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-arc-80-welder-with-tig-torch.html

Cuda Cody

For sheet metal you do not want a big welder.  From what I have seen, MIG is easier to learn for new welders compared to TIG.  A good MIG is about all you will need and it's much easier to do plug welds (IMO).  I have both MIG and TIG and they both have things they do better then the other, but for sheet metal, I would start with a MIG.  Also, to much power makes it super hard to control the heat.  You want a quality single phase 115 name brand welder.  Most people will agree that Miller and Lincoln have a great reputation.  I personally use the Lincoln 140c all the time around my shop.  They are MSRP at $749, but you should be able to find them around $500.  If you have more to spend, you can get the 180 and be able to run 115 or 230 power.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K2471-2(LincolnElectric)

Get a good auto darkening helmet too.   :alan2cents:

ksierens

If you can afford it, I would look at one of the multi purpose welders.  They allow you to do MIG, TIG, or stick welding from the same unit, if not, MIG would be the better all around unit.

Welding sheet metal with a torch requires a lot of heat, and you will get significant warpage. That is how I started out, torch and coat hangers.  Did a lot of welding with that before I got a MIG welder.  Which I had a TIG also.

For the helmet, I would definately not get a cheap one, your eyes aren't worth cheaping out there.  I found a Speedglas on line for a good price.
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

jimynick

We started with a Lincoln 110v MIG and flux core wire and quickly went to shielding gas and solid core wire. If you go that way, be sure to check the polarity of the welder as they change from one set-up to the other. We then went to a 220v Hobart MIG and that does pretty well everything, save TIG for us. We further have an oxy/actl torch set-up that the old fart-me- still uses to braze, heat and fusion weld with, so I'd say to invest in as much of it as you can and remember- practice makes perfect. Repeat that and do it and you'll get better with whatever you choose. Good luck with the new purchase!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

ViperMan

I dunno - I'm really uncomfortable with MIG.  I know it's easier, and I get that it allegedly warps less, but I patched a door with a MIG welder once and I never did get that damn thing straight again...  And, it still warps, right, but you can't hammer-and-dolly the welds out because they might crack...

I know the Miller/Lincoln ones are pretty pricey, but I guess that's where I can turn to the used market if I at least narrow down what model(s) to look for.  I was looking for a cheap cost of entry so I can at least start practicing.

For what it's worth, I've been trained and have done welding in my past - it's just been a while.  I also know these days that there's a lot of information and guidance available through videos online.  My plan is to get a welder and some plain ol' steel, cut some pieces out and just practice.  Maybe make a cube eventually.  I also want to find an old fender and practice patching it, then maybe "sectioning" it and seeing how neatly I can put it back together, do the body work, filler, primer, & paint.

I've been incredibly inspired lately watching "Jay Leno's Garage" - several times this season he's quoted an old saying that "the heart is happiest when the head and the hand work together."  I want to start building something, and I've been formulating a plan.  First off though, I need tools...  :)

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 17, 2017, 10:53:10 AM
For sheet metal you do not want a big welder.  From what I have seen, MIG is easier to learn for new welders compared to TIG.  A good MIG is about all you will need and it's much easier to do plug welds (IMO).  I have both MIG and TIG and they both have things they do better then the other, but for sheet metal, I would start with a MIG.  Also, to much power makes it super hard to control the heat.  You want a quality single phase 115 name brand welder.  Most people will agree that Miller and Lincoln have a great reputation.  I personally use the Lincoln 140c all the time around my shop.  They are MSRP at $749, but you should be able to find them around $500.  If you have more to spend, you can get the 180 and be able to run 115 or 230 power.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K2471-2(LincolnElectric)

soundcontrol

Thats what I did, started with a TIG, (a DC TIG, way cheaper than an AC/DC) practiced a lot before I welded on my car, now, after 2 years with the TIG, I got a small MIG (its really a MAG, because of the gas I use), and I will use that for plug welding and when I put together stands etc. I will use the TIG on all sheetmetal since its softer. I can plug weld with the TIG also, but its so much quicker easier with the MAG.

I got a regular gas welder also, but I don't use it, and the TIG can do sticks also, I used that once, on my fence, its not as easy as I thought!
My TIG also has a plasma cutter buit in, never tried it though.

I got a good TIG welding DVD if you want it, @ViperMan

ViperMan

Quote from: soundcontrol on August 17, 2017, 11:40:41 AM
Thats what I did, started with a TIG, (a DC TIG, way cheaper than an AC/DC) practiced a lot before I welded on my car, now, after 2 years with the TIG, I got a small MIG (its really a MAG, because of the gas I use), and I will use that for plug welding and when I put together stands etc. I will use the TIG on all sheetmetal since its softer. I can plug weld with the TIG also, but its so much quicker easier with the MAG.

I got a regular gas welder also, but I don't use it, and the TIG can do sticks also, I used that once, on my fence, its not as easy as I thought!

Have you ever messed with the heat-absorbing putty before?  I was wondering if that might help cut down on warping, making the TIG even easier to work with...

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-anti-heat-compound-1-qt.html

dodj

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 17, 2017, 10:53:10 AM

:iagree:
I have the Lincoln 140 and it has done everything i needed.  After some help from cc.c members such as Dutch who helped with prep and technique,  I'm a fair welder. Lol.  Bought a speedglas auto darkening helmet. Much better than the single sensor,  cheaper units.   
Everybody i know at work that weld,  cut their teeth on sticks and migs first, before tigs..  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

soundcontrol

Quote from: ViperMan on August 17, 2017, 11:44:08 AM
Quote from: soundcontrol on August 17, 2017, 11:40:41 AM

Have you ever messed with the heat-absorbing putty before?  I was wondering if that might help cut down on warping, making the TIG even easier to work with...

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-anti-heat-compound-1-qt.html

Funny you asked, I just today, ordered a can of that! Never tried it but the very experienced body guy I visited yesterday recommended it. It can be reused and will last forever almost, he had a can for 20 years, just added a splash of water when it dried up too much. Gonna be fun to try, that and some copper backing, good speed on the TIG.... 

Daveh

To me it's like my other tools you get what you pay for.  I bought a Miller 211 with Autoset and it's a great unit.  I'm a crappy welder  :yes: but the welder is great.  I plan on having it for a long time.  Buy a cheap one now and when you want to upgrade you will be paying more money so put it out up front if you have the means.  Just my 2 cents. Good luck

RUNCHARGER

I'm on my second Lincoln MIG. Nothing went wrong with the first one but it was 25 years old so I replaced it. Miller, Lincoln or Hobart all have good names. hard to beat a MIG for do anything, any dummy can use it versatility.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

First DO NOT buy a Snap On welder... I may that mistake years ago..... I had to replace the main board three times before I finally sucked it up & scrapped the POS...   Two buddies have Millers, one 210 & one 250... Both are great machines... Another buddy has a Lincoln I believe it's a SP135, it's been Ok, not the most consistent when running beads..... My new machine I picked up second hand it's a Hobart Handler 135.... It's been a great machine welds really nice, does light work & yet can handle 3/8" plate....

RUNCHARGER

Another thing is to try to find a lightly used Industrial quality machine if possible. The name brand units they sell in box stores will not weld anywhere near as well as their commercial brand units do.
Sheldon

Shoooter

as a welder fabricator by trade I can say there are alot of good products out there. all the major brands are pretty competitive. For electric welders I prefer Miller. I feel they can be dialed in alot better and hold up longer. I have a very close friend who is a arctec rep and he bought a Tesco fabricator 211i. he is very happy with it and it is cheap. alot more practical for the hobiest.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/tweco-fabricator-211i-mig-tig-stick-welder-pkg-w1004201

They do mig, rig and stick. but no A.C. for aluminum tig.  holds full size 33lb rolls of wire and can run .045. whole set up with spool gun for aluminium waa under 2000 Canadian.  the website above has it for alot less.

If your stuck on a name brand make sure to go big. no home depot ones. check the duty cycle %. 110 ones don't have the power for anything big. a larger machine cab always be dialed down for thin sheet metal.