Main Menu

MasonDaniel7 - Ban or Keep Poll

Started by Jay Bee, August 24, 2022, 06:21:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Should we continue to endure MasonDaniel7"s postings or finally ban the bot.

Ban
43 (50%)
Keep
19 (22.1%)
Don't care either way
24 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Blowout

I can see people's frustrations, but as mentioned above, I do learn a lot from what you guys post regarding some of these cars for sale. I don't really mind, although moving to an eBay category might help. 

Filthy Filbert

I'd be happy if I could just filter out the threads he starts so that I'm not annoyed, and the guys who enjoy it can still see them.

larry4406

I say ban him.

Or force all his posts into the for sale section.

Finoke

I like them. One of the only reasons that I check in every day.

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on August 24, 2022, 08:38:53 AM
Valid point....does a "bot" get kickbacks from eBay ? :huh:
Set up by someone...for a reason...reason is likely money. At least that is how I see it. I could be wrong..it happened once or twice before...lol
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JH27N0B

It would be interesting to know what motivated someone to set up a program to constantly repost ebay ads here.
I can't see ebay paying to have places repost listings on various enthusiast forums.  Has anybody seen that happening on any other forum?
I've read articles about the shady underworld of the internet where there are organizations in places like China that pay people to generate traffic on various internet sites and they get paid by how many responses and looks their postings get.  But what benefit would that be if that is what MasonDixon is a part of?
Whatever the case, Cars for sale and wanted should be a section only for cars that members here post of theirs to sell, not to repost ads found elsewhere.
If all of Mason Dixons postings were in the items found on ebay, craigslist etc section that would be fine I guess, but not fine when burying legitimate for sale and wanted listings that members here post.
As for getting more people to post here, I wish that would happen too.  However I've seen similar situations with other car forums I'm on, where there just doesn't seem to be as much activity anymore compared to 10 or 15 years ago.  I'm not sure why that is. 
I do feel that some forums including here, become sort of a "old boys club" where the same dozen or so members generate the majority of the posting.  You can see where that doesn't make others feel too encouraged to try to post.
The other thing is, that social media creates an environment where people need affirmation to get actively involved in participating.  If someone posts something online and doesn't get much, or any, response or "likes", they feel discouraged and are unlikely to post further.
So if you want to see more participation here, make it a point to respond to posts you see by members who are new or don't post much, that is the one way to generate enthusiasm for a social media site.  :alan2cents:

Racer57

Create a new category called "Bot Sale Ads" Then ban him from all other categories.

Bullitt-

Quote from: Racer57 on August 24, 2022, 11:12:22 AM
Create a new category called "Bot Sale Ads" Then ban him from all other categories.
I like this idea.... I notice most that bother to comment seem to be on the side of keeping.
Limiting this users access could solve the one issue...

Why is user participation down?...Facebook.  Lot's of activity over there. I even see a few FB posts by members I know that don't bother to bring the content over here.   
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

70vert

Quote from: anlauto on August 24, 2022, 08:12:55 AM

So why not re-title the two categories,  if Mason is a bot he will continue under the same section even though it has a different title, while everybody else can use the other section with a new title  :dunno:

This seems like a great, and "simple" solution. The bot will likely not know, and they will be the only ones posting to that section.  So those that don't like the bot can just not look and it won't mess up the member's adds.

dodj

Quote from: Bullitt- on August 24, 2022, 12:42:08 PM
Why is user participation down?...Facebook.  Lot's of activity over there. I even see a few FB posts by members I know that don't bother to bring the content over here.   
Well...makes sense I guess. But that really sux. I have no interest in the Facebook world.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Jay Bee

Nice suggestions BUT wherever the bot's posts are designated to wouldn't they still show up for the members that use the 'Show unread posts since last visit." option. I believe they would and there's no way around it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mr Lee

I'll admit that I click on a Mason Daniel post now and then but I wouldn't miss them if they disappeared.  There's just too many of them.  If theres a car on ebay that someone has a question about, sure go ahead and share it.  But I don't need to see every single car for sale out there.  That really doesn't fall in line with what the forum is, or should be about, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

torredcuda

They are not a member who contributes anything to the forum, it is simply spam whether they get money for it or not. I think if any other member routinely clogged up a forum like that it would not be allowed. I think if Cody or Dave can find a way for Mason to have his own sub forum that would work, otherwise I vote for ban.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

cuda hunter

I know of 6 other sites that Mason was banned from.  Same issue.

This is a bot that is specifically set up by ebay. 

Yes the mason posts would still show up in the unread posts thread if he were to be put in his own little dark corner.  But that would be the only place to see them.  And then it wouldn't push actual members cars for sale or wanted to the bottom or next page.

As far as I can tell, he is banned on most all of the mopar sites. 

I fully agree with making conversation with any new poster here.  Every time I see something I try to contribute so that we keep the new guy coming back.

Mason's posts do start conversation.  keep him, in a dark corner. Isolated.  He is the only contributing bot.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

purple1

I voted to ban the bot from the site. I don't care really one way or the other if someone posted a bunch of ebay cars in the form. But this is a BOT. Get rid of it.  :thumbdown:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer. Severna Park, Maryland