Main Menu

Mouse invasion

Started by 7212Mopar, June 06, 2021, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

My 2012 challenger is parked outside my house on the driveway under car cover.  I only drive it once every few weeks. Last six months or so, rat started nesting on top of the engine. It chewed some rubber parts and the under hood insulation. Got the rat repellants and that seems to went away. But the Mouse started moving in and don't mind the repellant. Now I got the electronic gadget emitting ultrasonic noise and flashing LED. Will see how that goes. More problematic is that recently the mouse chewed out the corners of my garage door and got into my garage where my 73 is parked. I started noticing the mouse droppings on my workbenches. So it is battle stations. I repaired my garage door corners with metal plates and got some spring traps from Amazon. So far got four Mickeys and buried them in the planters as fertilizers for my flower beds. Will be keep doing the traps until no more sign of them. I am lucky so far that my 73 is ok.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Challenger in NC

I've been battling them too lately in our garage, killed about 8 this past year. Been using the Tom Cat mouse traps, they work well.

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

70vert

that one looks pretty good, common sense method. but kind of expensive for so simple and still have to get a bucket. may be worth a try as nothing else has worked for me, so far just a nuisance.

njsteve

I use regular old spring loaded mouse traps baited with peanut butter in the garage. The added secret ingredient is the trays of used kitty litter placed near each garage door. If you place a few of the pee-clumps of litter in a bowl, especially from a male cat, that usually sends the mice somewhere else, knowing a predator is hanging around.  The best repellent clumps come from this monster: "Turdly" we call him. He has one gigantic fang and one normal sized one you can't see. He just aint right in the head, which makes him perfect for the job. ;-)

I should package his repellent clumps and sell them!

Poolshark314

Quote from: 70vert on June 07, 2021, 02:10:44 PM
that one looks pretty good, common sense method. but kind of expensive for so simple and still have to get a bucket. may be worth a try as nothing else has worked for me, so far just a nuisance.

Get a $2 5 gallon bucket, drill 2 holes through near the top of the sides and slide a dowel through it. Put a piece of wood against the bucket as a ramp for them to climb to the top, put some peanut butter on the middle of the dowel.

They climb the ramp, walk out on the dowel to get the peanut butter and roll off into the bottom of the bucket. Put your weapon of choice in the bucket bottom or humanely take them out
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

moparroy

They can be nasty... so far I have not had an issue.
The bucket thing works - I have not used it but if needed would set one up - seen it work at my inlaws with a small platform in the middle of the dowel (heavy wire) - to ensure they go off balance to reach the PB nummies. Water in the bucket - they will drown.
Other things I do around the house: I have the ultrasonic things in the garage - find one unit maybe covers one bay so I have 4 or 5 of them; always keep a little warfarin on the floor under work bench / tool box and watch it to see if any gets eaten more as an indicator but that got rid of some one time too; dryer sheets inside the cars (could try in the engine bay too); in our tent trailer I have used moth balls for years and that worked well (fortunately neither of us mind the scent as it does linger a bit). We do have a house cat too - careful not to let him out in the garage with the warfarin - generally we have found the presence of cat keeps them out of the house. I like the idea of putting some pee balls out - that could be a future strategy if needed too. Around here the chipmunks are aggressive too.

7212Mopar

Got 5 so far. Three in garage and two by the driveway. I think my garage door repair is working. No sprung traps inside the garage for two nights. Finger crossed.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Smallblock340

Try toilet freshener blocks or toilet bowl tablets! Just throw a handful under your car, especially under the engine bay. From the moment I am using these blocks (>1 year) I have never seen any traces of mice or other rodents in my engine bay. :banana:
In case you hang a couple of blocks in your engine bay, please take them out before you start your engine. The heat will melt the blocks and it will cause a terrible mess...  :crying:

Other idea is to remove the under hood insulation. Makes it less attractive for the mice to hang around in your engine bay. But I guess you have a reason to keep the hood insulation.
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

7E-Bodies

I combine several methods with great success. Bucket traps, snap traps baited with bacon grease, poison nibble cubes, and moth balls placed around the shop just so I can barely smell them. Make sure there are no food OR WATER sources for them either.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Burdar